my 7 month old son is sick ?? and i feel soo helpless

i took my son to the drs for a cold and a bad cough and runny nose and the dr not oly told me that i have to be careful because my son could cough too hard and cough one or both of his testicles back up & i was like hmm i never knew that but hes like ya he has a cold there nothing you can give him , now i bought the lil noses sailene nose kit with the boogie sucker and i cant even get it near his nose, he screams like someone is killing him and his nose is really sore and he sneezed blood but he has been trying to puck his nose lately soo that could explain it, but he sounds all mucousy and his nose wont stop runnin , he doesnt have a fever but having his nose run all the time is making him loose his appetite, is there anything else i could do for him ... he sounds like crap to me but his drs said he was just congested , but hes startin to gag on the phlem, any advice !! help =] && Thank you to anyone who answers =]

ShAyLaSMoMmY212

Asked by ShAyLaSMoMmY212 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you could use a humidifier, raise his crib (put a pillow under the matress) saline drops. thats all really. and if you nurse bm works wonders inthe nose,.a liitle drop on the nsotrils instead of sailine drops
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• oh man that happened to me too a few weeks ago. as much as they hate the booger sucker u have to get in there and suck all that stuff out! it seems to me that hers would fill right back up with snot but just keep doing it. also, the humidifyer helped a lot...good luck :(
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Go to another doctor. He is freakin insane. You cant give him any over the counter drugs. Put a humidifier in his room. Im sorry that's all I know to do. But definitely see another doctor.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Did you get an aspirator from the hospital when you had him? The ones you can buy in the stores don't work well at all. You may need to go to a pharmacy and get a better one.... one that has a long, skinny end. Just be careful not to push it into his nose when you use it. I'd just suck him out though. I know it's so hard to do, especially when they're screaming, but he'll feel so much better. He's probably not eating b/c all of the mucus is draining into his little tummy, so if you can clean him out, he should eat better. I'd up his milk/ formula until he feels better too. Good luck!
    MDMomof2Cuties

Answer by MDMomof2Cuties at 11:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Don't worry about trying to use the bulb syringe to suck the stuff out if it upsets the baby.

Take the baby in the shower with you. Don't make the shower real hot. It will work even better than making the bathroom hot and steamy and taking the baby in the bathroom. Sometimes hot and humid makes babies worse. Being in the shower should help loosen the mucous in his nose and sinuses up.

Don't use Vicks on a child less then 2. Badger Balm has a sleepy balm that may make him feel better.

Don't let your baby sleep alone in a room in a crib if he is very sick. You want to be near if he gets in trouble with breathing. I always held my kids all night when they were sick.

If you are breastfeeding and your baby is having trouble because he can't breathe you can try expressing milk and giving it to him in a cup. Usually breastfed babies can still feed while sick.

I hope your baby is better soon.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i got one in a "Little noses Kit" which came with one, and saliene drops, but he like gags every time i try and put the drops in his nose and when i use it blood and boogers come out soo i dont wanna make it worse, you can just tell hes not feeling good, and you would think someone from Dartmouth Hitchcock would be good.... but yea i have a humidifier and baby vicks on him and have him sleeping at an incline, it stinks cuz i had to switch formulas cuz enfamil was all i could afford and he eats nestle good start, but he only drinks like 3-4 full 8 oz bottles a day now and he wants the pureed stage 2 gerber food he weighs 20.5 lbs and is 23 1/2 inches long =] i just dont wanna mess with his nose cuz blood comming out of my babies bothers me =[ but idk if this is another sign to switch doc's but he told me " it would be illegal for them to reccommend giving your infant like benadryl or a cold medicine for 2 yr olds
    ShAyLaSMoMmY212

Answer by ShAyLaSMoMmY212 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• and i was like omg im not doing that , but he was hinting i could do it but its been forever since ive had a baby sooo should i try using a stuffy nose medicine..dosing him at his weight... i mean i suppose with a name like "Mitchell Frumpkin" you'd be a lil nutty.... but i really dont like giving them medicine unless they absoultly need it..... should i keep trying to suck out the boogs or just wipe them when it starts to run???
    ShAyLaSMoMmY212

Answer by ShAyLaSMoMmY212 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• i also share a room with my 7 month old and am very paranoid about everything lol but he doesnt have a fever, he did cut 2 bottom teeth this past week but it doesnt seem to bother him.... he just wants to chew on everything and he crawls fast and laughs at me when i try and catch him .... hes very very advaced for his age and hes pulling himself up on the couch and trying to walk along it and get soo mad at me if i try and stop him.... he is a very active baby=] for anyone who doesnt believ in the mothers curse.... you should cuz i got my" i hope one of your children are exactly like you or worse" and i had an amazing 100 % problem free everything with my daughter and my son is exactly like me except a crazier male version .. he will be walking by himself by 9 months .... trys to push his walker and climbed up on my daughters lil rocking chair... sooo other then sounding lie crap hes acting normal...
    ShAyLaSMoMmY212

Answer by ShAyLaSMoMmY212 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My son is 7 months old and GET ANOTHER DOCTOR HE IS WRONG WRONG WRONG. they can have antibiotics and decongestants. My son was so bad he had to take steroid, prednisone for 5 days and then it went away. please, go to another doctor tomorrow. poor baby, that doc should be smacked int he face...jerk.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2009