my baby is acting up ... What to do?

So my son ( 12 months old ) just started to act up and cry when ever he does not like things or I don't pay attention. Man I don't know what to do because if I walk away and don't pay attention he cries and cries and does NOT stop .
Also I have maid the mistake of rocking him to sleep so now he can or will not just be put in bed awake and go to sleep by him self.
I don't know how to teach him to go to sleep without me rocking him.
I try every day , just putting him in the crib and shutting the door almost closed but he will cry so hard and again does not stop.
What can i do?
Please help.
He is getting heavy and he is starting not wanting to go to sleep during the day and when he does want to than I have to rock him for bout 30-1 hr. Before it was only 5-10 min.
Should I just let him cry or will he get over it when he gets a little older?

Ellie.407

Asked by Ellie.407 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The not getting the way thing i dont pay attention to that i walk away from it you know let them cry he is at the age now where he is testing you. The thing about the rocking we rocked my son to sleep since birth and yes as he got old it took longer then i 2 days before he turned 2 years he didnt want it anymore my thing is they are only little for alittle while i didnt mind yeah sometimes it got on my nevers but as a mom we learn to pick our battles. hope it helps
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• do you have a bedtime routine? bath, storytime? or singing him to sleep? babies can't just fall asleep on their own, they need comfort from their mom or dad.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Google some tips, I think parents.com has a whole sleep section with tips. There is hope. As for him crying for attention, does he have a swing or playpen or one of those round activity things to sit in, so you can keep him in sight of you but occupied so you can get stuff done? Also, try talking to him while you are doing stuff, so he feels secure. Babies are tough but it only lasts for awhile. Hang in there!
    itsnotaclowncar

Answer by itsnotaclowncar at 11:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2009