does anyone else think that thanksgiving is a stupid holiday and also too close to christmas?

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Holidays

• LOL. I dont thinks its STUPID, persay, but its never really been that big of a deal for my family. Hey, its an excuse to eat. ALOT. ANd then some more. Sounds good to me! ;)
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Thanksgiving is a secular holiday to celebrate the survival of the country's first white settlers. It is a part of our cultural heritage and our history. Why would this be stupid to celebrate?

As for it being "too close to Christmas", well, not everybody is Christian, so I'm sure there are many who don't mind, or care.
    Anonymous

• Um, no Im sure if our fore fathers thought about the timing, They would have canceled the dinner with the Native Americans and set it for a later time.....
    Anonymous

• I LOVE Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday. A time to get together with family and BE THANKFUL. what is stupid about that? At least it's not over commercialized like Christmas is. What is Christmas about these days? Toys. electronics. shopping. money. I never get any good impressions about what Christmas is MEANT to be from ANY source other then history itself.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It's not really a big deal to me...just an excuse to eat a lot, and have all the men watch football (which I hate) and not do anything. Also a celebration of stolen land and smallpox-infected blankets.
    Anonymous

• We all need to be thankful the settlers survived their first winter here!
    Or you wouldn't be around to ask this question.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Assuming you care about America.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• there are a ton of other holidays that celebrate america...memorial day, 4th of July, veterans day, Presidents day, Election Day
    ilovedogs1967

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• No it's not stupid!! family gets together enjoy good food and good loughs, I actually like that Christmas and Thanksgiving are close together that way you can get all the face stuffing goody eating done and over with all with in a months time and move on to working it off for the new year.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Why is it stupid? While I don't celebrate it for some reasons (like glorifying what the settlers did to the Native Americans) I do celebrate it as a day the things that my family & I are thankful for. I celebrate Chanukah, not Christmas and it's closer to Chanukah than it is to Christmas and that doesn't bother me. Thanksgiving is just 2 1/2 weeks before the start of Chanukah this year. Christmas is just another day here, we go to a movie and pick up Chinese food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Nov. 21, 2009