Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I move out of state?

If I have full legal custody of my child and the father only has visitation that also has to be supervised do you think that I can move out of state with my new husband? Because of the economic problems he has decided to use his college education and join the military as an officer. I am worried that I will not be able to move because of my childs father does has visitation even though its supervised.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • um you should be able to. the best thing to do is contact the court and double check, or a lawyer.

    Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • it should be in your custody order. go back and find those papers and read threw them. If it doesn't have any specifications about you moving then you should be able to move. However, your ex can petition which can cause a delay in the move or have you fighting from however many states away.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 11:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • It depends on the state. In Indiana it is almost impossible. My youngest son never met his father but because of the way the law was in Indiana I could never leave the state with him. It would have been kidnapping. Amber alert, go to jail. He couldn't go on vacations or go on trips with scouts or anything.

    If the father doesn't want you to move you may have to stay a certain number of miles away or in the state. The court may not care who you married, what job he has, or if he is in the military.

    I know Michigan has very strict laws also. I know of a mom who was from Illinois and gave birth in Michigan and the father was from Michigan, they were not a couple. Her house and job was in Illinois. The court ordered her to not leave the state with the baby even to sell her hourse or see her family.

    If he has supervised visitation you may not be able to leave.

    Answer by Gailll at 11:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • You have to do this the right way. I had a friend who did this and it really back fired on her. First you should explain to your childs father why you need to move. Make a deal like if you agree I will make sure you see him so many times a year. If he isnt willing you could just go but here is where it gets tricky the father could petition the court and you would have to move back. My friend was ordered back or she would lose custody. In your case they might not do that because your ex gets supervised visits. However courts do look at the fathers rights too. You should consult with an attorney. Under the circumstances you could show the court it was needed for economic reasons and to keep your family together. There is always the chance you wont be allowed to leave. Thats someting your new husband should think about before he signs to join.


    Answer by okmommy08 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

  • I was just looking into the Indiana law about that. It states that if the parent that is wanting to move and show the courts that the move is also in the childs best interest then it can be granted. Examples of this are: Better jobs for the parent, Better education for the child Etc....


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • no you cannot. You have to go to court and have ex's ok, if ex says no then you have to fight it out and show that the childs best interest is served by moving. Just like if ex had custody, he couldnt leave with your son, you cannot either. sorry and good luck.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 12:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • Go to and click on KNOW THE LAWS. Then look up your state and see. In FL you only have to tell the other parent that you are moving out of the state.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.