if you knit/crochet....do folks act happy to receive the homemade items? have you ever had a negative reaction to a gift?

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My sister knits baby blankets. I went with her once to a baby shower where she was giving one as a gift. Everybody thought it was beautiful and passed it around the room for everyone to see!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I knit and crochet. I've never seen a negative reaction to a homemade item I've given as a gift.

I put a lot of thought into items that I make for gifts. For instance, my mom loves pansies. I found an afghan with pansies crocheted right into it and made it for her. She LOVES it ! I've also made winter hats for my kids with matching scarves/mittens in colors to match their coats and every year they want a new hat from me. I've made quilts for my older sons when they were teens and incorporated fabric that reflected something they enjoyed (muscle cars and fishing). Last year I made an afghan out of camouflage colored yarn for my son that's into hunting/camouflage. This year for Christmas my two youngest children requested afghans in specific colors, made by me.

In my experience, people truly appreciate the thoughtfulness and all the work that goes into making and gifting a handmade item.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I think people appreciate it... I have gotten some really ugly hand knit gifts but im never mean about it... my ex SIL made me a scarf out of horrible ugly fuzzy yarn.. I donated it, but she still got a thank you note for it.... and my grandma made me the ugliest knit purse I've ever seen, but I still thanked her.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• the more I do it, the better I am getting. but I did give some of my "beginner" gifts as presents and my friends mom was thankful for the plate warmers I made, but they were plain old red and not that exciting lol. her reaction was "oooooh uuuuh thanks" lol. these days I add more color and more personality, such as a circle shape or star shape, not just a plain ol rectangle. I also make baby hats and blankies. I've messed up on a few things, but the receiver appreciates I took time to make them :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Ok im turning red.....I did not like recieving these gifts but can you cut me some slack? I was a teen and did not appreciate it back then. You can slap my hand please.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• But I love all that stuff now....
    3gigglemonsters

• as a kid i wouldnt love these in place of a toy..but as an adult..i loooove afgans and those lil knit hats that are in fashion. a friend of mine sends me pix of her newest crafty item and i love them! she made a poncho for her lil girl recently and its TOO CUTE!! noone ever says anything bad about gift, if they dont like it...theyll get over it.
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 2:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My mom has been crocheting for years and sells her wares at craft fairs. She can make a killing and often leaves the shows with orders for more! She makes baby blankets, afghans, throws, scarves, hats, baby sweater/hat sets, panchos, shawls, bags, and towels with crocheted tops - among other things. People love her work. She even teaches classes and does private lessons.

When each of us graduated high school, my mom made my brothers and sisters and I afghans that we picked out. We were all excited to get them, though some of us don't use them anymore. Mine is actually on our guest bed!

When I my son was born I received several crocheted and knitted blankets. Most of them I like and they are among my favorite blankets for my baby.

One thing my mom learned to do - make the baby blankets with baby yarn that is super soft and washable. Don't use anything with synthetic fibers that busy moms are not able throw in the dryer!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 4:00 AM on Nov. 25, 2009