3 days away from my little nursling

So I have a wedding in Chicago in 3 short weeks. I'm going alone and my 5 mo exclusively BF We started solids a few weeks ago but no bottles. She will not take a bottle, I've never been away for longer then 6 hours, so she has never been hungry enough to want the bottle. I'm really worried about her not eating for the 3 days I'll be gone. DH, MIL, and GF have all tried to give her the bottle and I've tried many different types of nipples but she just wont latch on to anything that is not me and every time a nipple from a bottle gets near her mouth she starts yelling. HELP!!!! How long will it take her to accept a bottle once I'm gone and will she starve herself?? I know I'm being a bit over dramatic but I'm worried about my babes!!

LilMzMa

Asked by LilMzMa at 12:07 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a type of bottle out that has kind of a nipple inside a nipple so that it simulates let down in the breast. It's supposed to be an easy bottle option. I never tried it but had a friend that used it with no problem. Babies R Us sells it and the nipple kind of looks like a big boob. Weird looking but if it will work then I say go for it. And pump as much extra as possible so baby won't have to take formula while your gone. Good Luck!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 10:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• She may not take a bottle and she may cry the whole time you are gone. Take the baby with you and someone to take care of the baby when you are busy with wedding stuff. Or don't go.

If she does take a bottle when you come back she may not nurse.

Other people just don't understand how much nursing babies need their mothers. I'm sure you are feeling lots of pressure from others and I hear your concern about your baby. You are right to be concerned and of course your baby should come first.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• it sounds cruel but she will take it when she is hungry enough hon. It is hard to sit there and watch her scream I know, but thats all you can do. The biggest thing is dont feed into it, dont hover saying"oh honey, poor thing, baby...etc" try to remain calm and ignore her yelling if you can because they feed off of our anxiety(I have a 7 month old). Not too much else you can really do tho...good luck and no she will nto starve, I promise...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:15 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Can't take baby with me or I would. I can't take her on an airplane with swince flu and all the other shit going around. I don't know anyone else who will be at the wedding other then the bride that I would trust with my babes, and I highly doubt she will give up nursing when I get home, but if she does I'm okay with that. (for many medical reasons)
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 12:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I agree. Personally breastfeeding my babies is a priority, also being with them is a priority above all else, so three days away from a 5 month old would be out of the question. I know every mom is different, but this is what I feel is best for my children.

Also, if a baby is hungry they will eat. But like Gailll said your baby may not want to nurse after being gone from you for 3 days. So you have to ask yourself if its worth it to you. So these are some things to think about.. I hope you find a solution you feel comfortable with :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I wanted to add that breastfed babies are less likely to catch something, especially ebf, and especially babies that are close to their mommies. This is one reason why I wear my babies in a sling or a wrap, to protect them. If you keep your baby covered up, don't pass them around to strangers etc. you should be fine. I'm not saying that breastfed babies can't get sick, they can, but if they do its usually dont't get it taht bad and can fight it off easier. Whenever my kids got sick (which is hardly ever) I got it a lot worse than they did.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• If i must and yes I should of known it would come to this....The wedding is my cousins who has always been like a sister to me. Her own mother is not going along with the rest of our family because they are too scared to fly. Yes my family is crazy!! There for I can NOT miss this wedding and crush her. Won't take my baby for the reasons above and I'm okay if she stops nursing, I have medical problems that are gettong worse by the day because I can't treat it while nursing. I was dedicated enough to suffer while giving my baby the wonderful benifits of BF the last 5 mos. I would totally go longer if I could. I nursed first DD for 16 mos when she weaned herself. Just looking for some help, don't wanna be bashed!!
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 12:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• There have been no warnings about babies flying and a breastfed baby wouldn't be at high risk. Your milk has many things to protect your baby from illness including IgA, white blood cells, and lysozyme. You could take someone with you to help you with the baby. It would be worth the cost of the ticket.

Of course you want to breastfeed at least a year. The World Health Organiztion recommends at least 2 years. Anyone afraid to let a baby fly would have to be wise enough to not wean a baby at 5 months. Premature weaning has many lifelong health consequences for you and your baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Can't pay for the ticket...I'm poor. But if you would like to come and buy your own ticket, that would be GREAT! I could use your help and wisdom!!
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 12:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Babies under 24 months fly free on a parents lap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2009