Has anyone else run into kooky psychologists?

My husband started seeing a psychologist at the recommendation of his doctor. He has a diagnosis of ADD and depression, and was recently fired from his job. He has trouble knowing what is appropriate, and he has trouble getting along with his co-workers because he misinterprets their cues. We were hoping the therapist could help him identify problems and come up with strategies. Instead, she said, "Why do you need to change? Why not be different?" (Um, hello! He's had problems at his last four jobs, and now our family of four has no income!!)

A few years ago we took our DD (2 1/2 then, adopted at birth and exposed to drugs in-utero) to a ped. psychologist. That dr. said that prenatal drug abuse doesn't matter if they don't continue to live with the parent who uses.

I don't believe all psychologists are goofballs, but that's all I've run into here. Anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Health

• I've never personally ran into any kooky psychologist but my best friend has. One of the ones she went to would "dust of her wings" before every meeting...
    I've been to a couple different psychologist, not because they are crazy, but mainly cause it's hard to find someone I'll actually talk to. It takes some time to find that right person.
    Angyll24

Answer by Angyll24 at 1:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Dang, what a retard. I am 22 and you can still tell my Mom used drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Well, your husband's psychologist might have been trying to make a point. She could have meant that instead of trying to change the things that he is not good at that he should instead embrace the things he is good at. There is a job out there for nearly everyone and if you find the right one you shouldn't have to change.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It sounds like you are hearing what the psychologist said second hand and may not be sure exactly what was said. Drug use during pregnancy depends on the drug and when during the pregnancy it was used.

For example, what most people don't know is that smoking during pregnancy is worse than using cocaine. Since 1/4 or more mothers in some states smoke during pregnancy that means 1/4 of all babies have been exposed to drugs during pregnancy that are worse than cocaine. In Indiana, the state where I went to college, over half of babies have one or the other of the parents smoke. Unborn babies are also hurt by second-hand smoke and now your are up to 1/2 of all babies. In Indiana there were few laws about public smoking so pregnant women may be exposed to smoke at their jobs.

So one of the worst drugs for unborn babies has widespread exposure.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Well first off, the things you just described are Asperger Syndrome to a T. Google it and you'll see.
    And I also think he needs a new therapist. I speak of AS from experience, and my belief that ADD is just AS misdiagnosed. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to look into it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I'm confused Gailll what does her question have to do with smoking while pregnant???

OP I've ran into a few crazy psychologists and I kept looking around until I found one that fit me and my needs, also someone that I felt comfortable around.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 1:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2009