just some advice

I offered tohelp my MIL clean her house and get some organization. As it turns out, it is waaaay to much of a job to do with a 7 month old. Her house is huge, and hasnt been cleaned (deeply) in a LONG time. It taked 4 hours MINIMUM. How do I tell her Ive changed my mind? Can I???...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Can't you just tell her you'll do what you can? Do you feel obligated to do the whole thing?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• do what you can!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I do feel obligated to do the whole thing because I offered. But I did it honestly not realizing what a time commitment it was going to be!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Ok, how about this. How close are you to her? Can you tell her what you just said, that you didn't realize how much work it was and you feel like other things in your life are too demanding, but ask her if she'll pick out one room or specific job that most needs to be done and you'll help her...?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i want to do that...and i have told her maybe we can just take it one room at a time but it feels like she really wants the whole house done. and she wants it done on fridays so she has a "clean" house for the weekend. In reality not to be mean, but its an older dirty house so it really never FEELS clean (maybe it does to her i dunno) but i feel bad because she wont just come out and say it, and i know she really does want/need the help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Just tell her what you can do. If you can only do one room at a time then so be it. I would work in the kitchen and living room first. Sure she needs the help but she needs to accept the help in ways that are fair to you as well. Just talk to her and let her know you can only do a specific amount of time and stick to it. If it is going to not fit into your schedule then let her know. I am sure she'd understand either way
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Just do what you can do sweetie. I think you are very sweet and kind for helping her. If she complains it isn't to her standards, then explain that you did what you could, which is better than when you began, and that you just can't do everything she wants.
    If you can, speak to the entire family about pitching in to pay for a cleaning service to go in and do a complete overhaul of her whole home and then you will be able to keep up with the basic cleaning once a week.
    I think you have a big heart for helping your MIL like you do. You are a generous lady. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2009