what would you do (major problem)?

my son, since about 6 mnths of age (he's 8 mnths now), itches around his private area. he grabs on as only he has got an opportunity at every diaper change, even through the diaper. sometimes it reaches the point that one of us has to hold his hands, and the other one wipes him. we wash him 2x a day. it does not look red or anything (unless he has got to it, pulled and all that). it really much bothers him.
it is NOT just boy's way of play or selfdiscovery. he was tested and does not have any bacteria inside his penis. we are on pampers and he alarms us at blink when he wets himself, thus he is being changed real fast. what would you do with that? what do you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 3 girls and they all did it, too. Walk around in a Depends all day and see if you don't get a little itchy down there. Plus, they figure out about that age it feels good to touch there. I would just guide there hands away and say "Excuse me, but I'm busy here!" Or, I'd give them a wet wipe and let them "clean" themselves. Perhaps you could try a little of the Johnson's "cooling" Cucumber Melon Baby Powder. It's has a soothing cooling effect that calms mild itching. It might make him feel better.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my son is doing the same thing, he is 10 months old. only recently it has gotten to the point of one one of us holding his arms while the other changes his diaper. he has been scratching for a while tho there is no sign of a rash sometimes he will manage to get a vise grip on his privates and squeeze so hard before we can stop him that he screams and we have to pry his hand open. i recently took a psych class for college and it said that around this age they start going thru the "self discovery" phase so i dismissed it. but now you have me wondering if it is something more
    kcandie

Answer by kcandie at 2:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It sounds like what normal boys do. My son always grabbed at his penis. He would pull on it really hard sometimes, I would think OUCH! Have they checked for a yeast infection?
    No rash? Maybe you should try different diapers. When my children were having issues there was always a rash or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I know you are concerned that it is more than just self-discovery, but it very well could be just that. I am a psych major in the human sexuality field & boys tend to scratch & pull as first means of the feeling good & discovery stage (usually starting around 7months on average, sometimes sooner sometimes later). It is very normal & should be expected. If it was hurting or irritating him, he would cry (or scream or fuss etc). If not, & there is no visual rash, infection, or irritation, then he is fine. If you're still concerned, talk to his pediatrician about it at your next visit.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i only have girls but my sister has 3 boys and every one of them did that. Im sure its perfectly normal and that he will grow out of it. Dont worry about it too much.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 4:59 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Maybe he is sweating down there! when my boys get sweaty down there they are always itchin!
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 7:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Sounds normal to me. My son is two, and it started around 8mos for him. It looked painful, but he never seemed like he was in pain unless I could actually see a rash. It was always a yeast infection that irritated him, but when there was no redness, it was just curiosity. I just told him "ickies" because he used to stick his hand in the poop when he had pooped, and once he figured out what I meant, he'd pull his hand away. I only told him "ickies" when there was poop though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i would say it sonds normal BUT if you want somethign to do give him an oatmeal bath (aveno makes good one walmart mkes a sotre beand one thats good too but hard to find) and use the eucrin aquaphor on his privatte parts thats what we did with my son and t cleared up all his problems
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It really does sound like normal boy behavior- grabbing on any chance they get.

If it's not red or dry looking I doubt it's itchy. If you really and truly think it's itchy you may want to switch to cloth diapers to see if it might be some of the chemicals in the diapers that are causing the problems.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• You may not think it's normal, but really, it is! It probably wouldn't hurt to change the brand of diapers you use either - he may have an unseen rash from the ones you use now. You could also try cloth diapering. But it sounds perfectly normal to me - my son can't NOT touch his winkie when his diaper's off, and holds himself through it all the time too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2009