Spinal Block & a C-Section... What's it like?

I'm scheduled to deliver via c-section in 3 days. It's my first child and yes, I'm getting nervous. My doctor said I will be administered a Spinal Block. I also will receive sutures, not staples.

I would love to hear from REAL MOM experiences... not just a book.

What should I expect when I get the Spinal Block? Did it hurt?
What did you feel during the C-section procedure?
How did you feel in recovery and for the next few days?
How did you feel the first week back at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The spinal was very easy and took effect very quickly. It also has a bit of morphine to help with soreness afterwards. During the procedure I felt a little tugging and pressure, but mostly I felt giddy and excited about seeing my baby. It went a lot quicker than I thought it would. I was extremely sore the first few days. It's hard to use your ab muscles so make use of those bed rails to roll over and get in and out of bed using your arms. By the end of the first week I was getting around fine and the soreness had faded quite a bit. Good luck!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Spinal was WAY better than epidural, and worked quickly. It lasted the whole procedure, and I got morphine afterward for the pain. The surgery itself was not painful, just uncomfortable lying on my back with my big belly, even though I was numb from chest down. Felt a lot of tugging and pressure, like pushing hard on me, but numb, so not painful. VERY sore the first week for me. Had to have help doing almost everything, and I was so scared to go to the restroom, for fear of pulling out staples. I had dissolving sutures inside and staples outside. I had NO problems with it though. They gave me Vicodin went I went home 4 days later.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I loved having the spinal. I didnt evenknow they did it! It was so quick and comletely painless. You just feel the tiny pinch of the novacaine first. I didnt have much pain afterwards at all. I actually went home with perkasets(sp?) and flushed them. I really didnt take much advil either. Had a great experience and would opt for a csection again. GL! Youll be fine!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Don't laugh, sneeze or cough for about a week after wards. The spinal block worked really fast. But it made my face itch so DAMN much! I thought I was going to scratch it off. You just feel a little tugging during the procedure but it wasn't that bad. I did really well with recovery and at home. They give you pain meds. I didn't take them because DH just got a new job and I was at home by myself with my 2 1/2 year old and the baby. But like I said don't cough, laugh or sneeze for the first week.
    wilesmomma

Answer by wilesmomma at 10:40 AM on Nov. 21, 2009