??what do you think??

my 20mth old is 24lbs and 33 in. tall. I ve always thought he was kinda tiny, but it didnt bother me because me and his dad arent that big ourselves. Anyway the dr says he is the 25-50 percentile. Is that bad? He has always been like that,but I really would appreciate any opinions and suggestions!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It just means that 25-50% of other kids his age are the same height/weight. That's not too bad actually, maybe gain a few pounds. My 4 year old son is 36 in. and 40 lbs. Pretty skinny, but he's so active, running and jumping. Plus, his dad is pretty thin, too. So maybe it's the genes for yours too.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I have to take my daughter who is 19 months old and weighs 25lbs and is 27 inches tall to a specialist, I am only 4'9 and I think my daughter is just short, I had to see the same specialist when I was her age ,and I was just short ,I would not worry about it ,if I am not worried about my daughter. I think My daughter and your son is probably just short but get it checked if really worried about it.
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 3:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• what do you suggest food wise on puttin on pounds? he eats, but I try and give him healty things that aint really chunkin him up lol! he's not a big meat eater either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• That is not bad at all!! My firstborn was off the charts and I think my 3rd is at the bottom!! LOL! Kids are SO different. I think when there is really a cause for concern is when the height is near the top and the weight is near the bottom, or vice versa. Then you could have a child that is getting too much or not enough to eat. (oh, my middle child is average - he has always been in the 50th percentile!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• As long as your child is healthy there is NO need for him to put on pounds! My 4 year old is 39in and 34 pounds and my 2 year old is 34in and 29 pounds. My husband and I are both 5 feet 5 inches tall and my husband is very thin. It just depends on the child! All that matters is that your child is healthy so if the pediatrician say he is then do NOT worry!

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 9:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Why would that be bad? Someone has to fill those percentiles... 50% is average -- so we're talking just below average. Now, below average may not be what you want on spelling tests in the future, but for height and weight I don't see what the problem would be.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• What percentiles has he been following?

The first poster is wrong about percentiles. If your son is in the 25th percentile, it means he is bigger than 25% of other boys his age. (50th percentile means he's bigger than 50% of kids his age)

Mine were always in the 95th and up....as they have gotten older they have dropped to closer to average (50th percentile) but it was gradual and is expected.

The 50th percentile is "average"...and that's a national average a number inferred upon the national population of each age group based on the data gathered from a large (more than 35) sample.

Anonymous

• My doctor says as long as they stay within plus or minus 10% of where they were born they are fine. For my daughter she was born at 34% so as she grew anything between 24-44% was fine. My son was born at 7% so anything between -3-17% was fine. There are many calculators online where you enter the age and weight/height and it gives exact percentages which is a lot better then the vague 25-50% your doctor gave you. Make sure you are using the correct one though there are different ones for breastfed and formula fed babies.

The person who said there is a problem when one is at the top and one is at the bottom is also wrong. My son was born at 7% for weight and 98% for height and has stayed pretty much there since and is now 4 years old and the doctor has no issue with it. If they are born that way then there is no issue, but if they suddenly jump or drop in either height or weight then there is a problem.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2009