adopted step son.

I a few years ago Adopted my husbands son, now that we are getting a divorce should it make a difference, on who gets gets him fulltime..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Adoption

• I think that depends on how close you are, how old he was when you adopted him, and if he's old enough, what he wants. I adopted my stepchildren. Before we did that, my husband and I discussed the what ifs, and agreed that the above questions would influence our decisions. Good luck!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i would say leave him with his father you are not his real mother just you adopted him that wouldnt be right no me
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I agree a lot with the first answer. But, he will be treated no different in the divorce as his siblings, if there are any. If he goes with his father you will get visitation and will pay child support, just like if he was your bio child. He will still be entitled to your estate should you die just like your biological children. When you adopted him you agreed to treat him as your own, that doesn't change just because your divorcing his father.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Legally you have exactly the same rights as their bilogical father so you are on an even playing field. What a tough situation you are in!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• you are legally his mother now, so that shouldn't be a factor. It will be all the other ' best interest of the child' stuff that determines parenting time
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 10:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2009