Self Defense

Are Christians allowed to defend themselves? Even if it means killing the attacker/s?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 4:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ephesians 6:

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

hinson7169

• what i got from those verses are about shielding yourself and defending yourself with the word of God, not about killing in self defense (don't know if im right but that's how i read it).

, what bible is that from or shall i say denomination?

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• hinson7169: Those verses are in reference to the word of God and being sure you are prepared to deal with the temptations that life throws at you.

In my view and understanding, defending yourself is the same as giving yourself vaccinations to protect against disease. If killing can be avoided, YES, avoid it, but sometimes that is the only choice you have...to kill in self-defense.
    MamaCass07

Answer by MamaCass07 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Your question got me curious so I looked for online articles on the subject. I thought this one was interesting. http://www.gotquestions.org/self-defense.html

I also found some really crazy websites with people encouraging Christians to take up arms against the government, "terrorists" (the language suggests anyone actively working for something other than Christianity), etc. Scary!

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• If you don't defend yourself it is close to the same as suicide, and if you don't defend your family, you are complicit in their deaths. That is just my opinion. Your creator gave you life and s/he expects you to live and fulfill your purpose for being here.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• hinson.. those that you listed are meant in a literal sense... but metaphorical. It's talking about standing firm by your beliefs, and not backing down. To pray to God, and to spread his word. To speak out against evil. It's not literally meaning to pick up a sword and kill people that are "evil". To look at it that way would create a whole mess of trouble.. some of which we've already seen during the crusades.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I'm only flying by CM tonight, so no time to get the scriptures... (although they might already be quoted above?). But yes a Christian can defend him/herself if their life is in danger or they are being attacked physically. There would be no reproach upon him/her if the attacker died so long as there was never any intention to kill and that the self defending ceased as soon as true personal risk was gone (or diminished enough for you to get away). BUT, if you killed someone while it was obvious there was no physical threat (defending material possessions for example) you would certainly be considered, by God, to be bloodguilty (this is written up in the Mosaic Law). JES xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 3:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• No I didn't get any scriptures saying I can defend myself.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2009