Do you allow your preteen to listen to whatever type of music they want?

My 11-year-old son likes the hip-hop music that is played on a local radio station. He takes hip hop and break dance classes and is pretty good at it. I am concerned about the type of music he wants to listen to- Lil Jon, 50 Cent, etc. As my screen name implies, I love music of all types and play all genres (country, top 40, etc.) As an adult, I think that there is an artistic value to all of it, even rap. HOWEVER, I think that songs about bitches and hoes being on the pole, women being raped, life being all about robbing people and having a lot of money and what not is inappropriate. On the other hand, we are an average white middle class family and we live in a small rural area. The idea of the Kings of Krunk showing up here is laughable (LOL). If it matters, my son is an all "A" honor roll student and has never been in trouble at school. I don't want to overdo it as far as keeping him too sheltered but I am having a hard time with this one.

Asked by musicmom77 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well, it seems to me that your son knows the difference between the real world and the one betrayed by rappers. As someone who lives for music, music bonds people. If hes in a dance group where all the kids listen to the same things and they hae fun doing it, I would say es a big boy and hes probably fine. If he gets gold teeth and starts calling you dog... then be concerned, until then I think you may be overestimating how much the actual lyrics mean to kids.

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I have always monitored my girls listening and neither one of them is into anything I can't approve, thank goodness. I do think I would draw the line at the kind of lyrics you mention, just like I draw the line on television and DVDs. It is disrespectful to us as women for one thing. I would try to steer him away from it now.

Answer by manna1qd at 1:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I let my children listen to all types of music, as I appreciate all types of music. However, I do not permit them to buy the unrated versions. If it is toned down enough that they play it on the radio, that's good enough for me.

Answer by MissesV at 10:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• when my daughter was younger I didn't let her listen to the local "hip hip/rap" whatever station. But now she has so much access to whatever type of music she wants. . .I let her download music from itunes, but like MissesV replied; she buys the edited version. I still don't let her listen to the station in my presence.

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 12:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I only make sure my daughter's music doesn't have any bad language and it's not talking bout a bunch of stuff that she don't know about yet.She likes Country music and Disney singers.

Answer by dulcedelarosa at 8:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I agree with the other moms. The type of music is up to the child but the lyrics are still up to the parent and you should not allow them at this age. They will hear enough as they grow older..let they stay young as long as you can!

Answer by Momma1966 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2008