how do you teach a child to ride a bike

and at what age? how do you know they are ready to take training wheels off??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son could ride a bike without training wheels when he was 3 1/2. He had a really little bike that he could sit on and his feet still touched the ground, so when he would get off balance he just put his feet on the ground. He basically taught himself and it took less than an hour.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 8:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Every kids is different. You can start start now if you like and take them off when  the child feels ready. My son is going on 8 and has no desire to learn how to ride a bike. Not going to make him either.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I took the training wheels off and sent him on his way, in the grass. When he got the hang of balancing, my brother took him in the street (we have no sidewalks and live on a fairly quiet street) and held on to the seat and ran after him. Once he was going, my brother let go. It took a couple of times and falls, but he learned in a few hours. He was 7 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My son was almost 6 and it took some time and patients
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My niece is 7 and she hasnt learned how to ride without training wheels. It almost like she afraid of her bike all of a sudden.
    nikkik526

Answer by nikkik526 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Balance bikes!

My son has been able to ride a bike since he was 3. Never used training wheels ever.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 4:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2009