what does it mean when someone gets a bloody nose for no apparent reason?

My dd is 17 months and Just in the last 24hrs has had 3 bloody noses. My df, her dad, gets the out of the blue as well but she has never had one until yesterday. She also isnt sleeping good at night and has a cold if it makes a difference. Can anyone give me advice?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be Sinus/Allergies, me and my dad ~ especially gets them.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• As PP said, sinus irritation can cause bloody noses. Another thing is that in colder weather the air is more dry and it can cause some people to have bloody noses. You may want to get a humidifier and put it on in your child's room when she sleeps to see if that helps. If not, I'd talk to the dr about it. It can mean there are serious problems but most times it's just simple things.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I have this problem when my mucus membranes get too dry. With it being colder out and the heat going the air tends to be dryer. Ask your ped. what they suggest. I was suggested to use a hudimifier when i sleep asn use plain saline spray in my nose. With your baby having a cold if they are having to blow their nose alot that can cause it too.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I'd say dry air. It can really be bad this time of the year. I would put a humidifier in his bedroom and see if it helps with the bloody noses.
    This happens to my husband every fall and winter...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• it's the dryness in the nasal passages. the cold dry air of winter can bring them on more frequently.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My son gets nosebleeds a lot. For him it's the dryness in the air.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2009