tearing during delivery

I had my 2nd son on monday and the dr said i had a 2nd degree tear. With my first son i didnt tear. I have had no pain untill today and its just real uncomfortable to sit or lay down. Is there any tricks that would help with the pain besides tylenol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't mess with the area, use a sids or suds wash, warm water often with a water bottle that squirts, don't wash or wipe with wash cloft, maybe sit on a heating pad.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The most important parts of the healing process happen in the first 3 days. Before I go into treatment options, let me say that the best course of action may be the simplest: Keep your legs together and stay down! Do not sit! If you must sit, sit on the side of your ass, and only briefly. If you sit to nurse, do it slightly reclined and prop yourself up with pillows. Now is a great time to master nursing while laying down! Do this for at least 5-7 days, and you will have helped your body heal tremendously. I also recommend not looking until several days have passed (if ever!). Swelling can make things look worse than they really are. So no pants, underwear, pads, lots of stairs, riding in cars, etc. Stay in and enjoy the baby!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Fresh comfrey leaves (check ebay!) make a great healing poultice. This can be made in advance and frozen in an ice cube tray then thawed one at a time as needed. If no fresh comfrey is available, steep (not boil!) dry comfrey for an hour or more.

Comfrey root (again, ebay!) can be simmered for 40 minutes, then soak cloths in the infusion, and apply warmed (strain for root debris). It's awesome. Or, put comfrey leaves in a blender with some water and whirl for a few seconds and apply to perineum, it's like a gel.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I liked adding garlic, sea salt and uva ursi to my poultices. Just throw it in a large pot of water with the leaves and steep it (overnight is best, but for at least 30 minutes). Amounts used are a whole cup of sea salt (don't be afraid, it won't burn at all), a whole bulb of of peeled garlic whizzed in a blender, and uva ursi (1/2 cup or as much as you want). To make the poultice, get some 4x4 inch gauze pads. Spoon the mixture onto the pads and make a burrito for your underpants! Leave on the area for 25 minutes, 3-4 times a day. Apply them warm for added benefits.

You can put any of these strained infusions in a squirt bottle to rinse your perineum after using the bathroom. Keep any unused mixture in the fridge for up to three days.
    doulala

• Other supplementation to help healing can be in the form of daily vitamin C with bioflavinoids (500mg), vitamin A (25,000 IU), vitamin E (1200 IU), and zinc (15-25 mg). Also you can take homeopathic Arnica (30C 2x a day) to help reduce bruising and swelling and relieve trauma.

Seaweed! Using food quality seaweed from a health food store, Cut a piece of seaweed that is twice the length and width of the tear, fold in half, and moisten with water. Place it down the center of the tear and bring the edges of the tissue together, carefully aligning them. Then cover the entire length of the tear with a patch of moistened seaweed. Replace it after using the bathroom, each time. It may sting a little for a minute, but it's just the salt water in the seaweed and it will not be uncomfortable for long.
    doulala

• After 10 days, vitamin E from the capsule can be applied directly into the area if there is still discomfort.

Times that you may want to seek a second opinion or medical help:
    Excessive bleeding from the tear site
    Prolapsed uterus (when the uterus is out of the body, VERY uncommon and not life threatening)
    A tear that extends into the anus (extremely uncommon in a birth where no instruments are used)

http://norwegian-wood.livejournal.com/376239.html?nc=29
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I never tore, but I did get cut with my first. Didn't your doctor give you those cooling pads to wear in your underwear?? Other then that I don't know. You should still be taking your pain meds that the hospital prescribed.....
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2009