do you have the type of home where people can just drop by and visit??

Growing up we had a home where folks could drop by and visit and have iced tea and talk and talk...my in laws make everyone feel unwelcome. they stand in the foyer and look at you like "why are you here?"...so far in our marriage I seem to be unable to create a "drop by anytime" type house...I want too...but, I think some folks are discouraged by the mess, and my husband isn't the hospitable type...he's not unfriendly, but it just takes him a long time to warm up to folks..and he's antisocial..just wondered if anyone has any good tips. I really crave having that kind of house where folks can drop by.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If they are more concerned about the mess than the company then you are wanting to invite the wrong people. Just let people know they are welcome anytime, and you know where to go from there, and maybe talk to your hubby about being a little warmer to guest, and how you were raised. I was raised the same way, come over chat, eat drink (not alcohol) whatever, my family has always been a drop in family.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• No, only because I think it's rude for people to do so. I wouldn't do it so please don't do that to us.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Unless it's very early or very late (before 9 am or after 9 pm) then yes, most people can drop by unannounced. If it's before or after 9 (am and pm, respectively), please call first. We may or may not be up because we have odd work hours.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• sometimes i like to be lazy and leave a dish in the sink or my clothes on the floor so i dont want guest comin by and seeing that. If i hear that someone is gonna stop by i go into crazy cleaning mode just to make sure everything is in the right place and looks perfect. I know its crazy.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Nope! And most people finally realize it too after 8 freaking years - you don't drop by unexpected/uninvited to my house!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• No but sometimes I wish I did!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Yes... who cares if they just stop by to say "Hi". I am so glad that I don't have to call my family and get permission before I stop by... if it was like that I would Never go see them. As far as tips, I don't have any... sorry.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't want people just dropping in. I think that is rude and inconsiderate. My home is spotless so I don't have to clean if someone does call to ask if they can drop buy. I have no suggestions other than make up a cleaning schedule and stick to it. You cannot change your husbands personality so you may just have to deal with your home being the way it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• When I had three kids at home, it would rarely be picked up and neat enough for anyone to see if they just dropped by. I think it is rude for anyone to just stop by, even family., I never drop by anyones' homes. I call first.
    NOW , with no kids at home, My house always looks good. But--I still don't want anyone to just drop by to visit!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Our close friends come over a lot, and a few of my cousins. So we have company quite often, the kind of people who just drop by here are the ones that wouldn't care if it was a mess or whatnot. I try to always be welcoming and when I see the people I would like to come over I always invite them "Come over anytime." I admit sometimes they come over when it isn't the greatest time but really it doesn't bother me I like having company and I always end up cooking way more than I should so they usually end up staying for dinner and I love cooking for people.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2009