Has anyone declined, refused to have pitocin?

All three of my pregnancies started off the the same. My water broke and about 4 hours later I started feeling contractions. With my first 2 I just got something for the pain and something to help me sleep. About 4 to 5 hours later the baby was here. My 2nd labor was an hour shorter than the 1st. With my 3rd, my water broke, about 4 hours later I felt contractions but the doctor said they weren't consistent enough and gave me pitocin. Since I got pitocin I also got an epidural since I have heard pitocin makes contractions worse. I assumed my daughter would arrive around 2am, according to when my water broke and how my other deliveries went. Well, I wasn't fully dialated until 7am (my water broke at 4pm the day before) and she wasn't coming down the canal. They threatened c-section but I pushed her out by 12pm. I wonder if I didn't have pitocin and let her and my body do their own thing she would have come sooner.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP - cont. - so I was thinking with my next one (not for a few years) to tell them that I don't want pitocin if they say they are going to give it to me and see how things go. I know every delivery is different, but now I just wonder. But I have never heard of anyone in labor refusing to be given the pitocin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I did!, it is suppose to speed up the process, I told them I was in no rush!!!!!

Answer by older at 9:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I did. My water broke and I didn't have my first contraction until about 12 hours later. They suggested pictocin. I refused, they suggested it again I refused. I refused any IV's and just walked and walked and walked.
    Had a super easy labor (excepts I went from 1st mild contraction to full transition/labor) in less than 4 hours.

both my labors I refused everything and walked and walked and in both the hardest part was holding back till the dr. got there. LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:43 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It's your call and DON'T let them push you into it. Pitocin caused a bad reaction with me and my oldest....dropped our heart rates almost immediately....I said NO with my youngest, there was no need to explain.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:59 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I had Pitocin but I didn't have an epidural. My water broke around 8 AM, my contractions were really weak and not very close together. I ended up having two bags of water, the second was broken by the midwife around 12:30 PM and that was when I was started on the Pitocin. At 2 PM I was in active labor and my daughter was born at 6:26 PM. Since this was my first, I don't know if the Pitocin made it worse or not, but it did hurt A LOT. It's very likely my contractions would have gotten stronger on their own after she broke the second bag of water, but I'll never know. I was pretty happy with how my daughter's birth went overall.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I had Pitocin w/out any pain relief also. After 3 hours, they broke my water, and I asked for relief but what they gave me did nothing so I don't count it. My contractions were very strong, it only took 6 hours start to finish. If you don't want it, and there is no immediate need for the baby to be born, just tell them you don't want it. They may try to change your mind, but they can't force you to take it if you don't want it. The only reason I got induced was because I had beed having "unproductive" contractions for two weeks. Otherwise we would have just waited.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It's up to you and you have the right to refuse. However, pitocin makes contractions more intense and consistent.

I was induced with my first two and had pitocin to help the third along. With the first two, I received higher doses because it was MAKING me labor. With the third, my labor was longer because I had started on my own and the pitocin was only enough to make the contractions more regular, lower dose.

My official labors were 7 1/2 hours (after breaking my water), 2 1/2 hours (after breaking my water) and 15 hours (most on my own....born 26 minutes after they broke my water)

I don't think it was your pitocin, I think it was a different labor. They are all different you canNOT count on them all going the same.
    Anonymous

• I had pitocin with DD, but only after I asked for the epidural. They didn't want my labor slowing down after I got numb. Things worked out okay for us.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• You can ask them no to give it to you, but one thing you might want to think about for next time if it happens is to only get the pitocin long enough to regulate the contractions. If the pain gets too bad just stop the pitocin instead of getting an epi. Just because you start pitocin doesn't mean you have to keep going with it, they can stop it at anytime.

I did give birth without an epidural and for the last 5-6 hours I had pitocin, it's painful, but doable.
    Anonymous

• I had pitocin without an epidural.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2009