Kid is always "hungry"

This morning for example, breakfast was:
2 poptarts, a banana, 2 cups of OJ and a Gogurt.

not even 30 minutes later I hear "I'm hungry!"

She's been doing this for over a week now. She's eating more that DH! I understand growth spurts but I just dont see how a 5yo's stomach is holding all this food.

I'm worried she's not actually hungry and is just bored. I've tried distracting her with movies & activities, but she just wont let it go.
Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give her more filling foods. Whole grains, high fiber foods. Oatmeal is a good source of a filling food. Even a piece of pizza is more filling than yougurt and poptarts. You can try frozen waffles, bagels and cream cheese. I have made my own Egg McMuffins. Toast English muffins or bagels, fry a couple of eggs, place a piece of cheese on the English muffin, top with a slice of ham (lunchmeat kind or canadian bacon), the egg. Quick and easy not to mention delicious.

Pancakes are pretty filling too as is french toast. Poptarts are ok once in a while, as a snack or a quick breakfast when time is running short.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Try feeding her real food instead of crap like poptarts - all those are is sugar & other stuff that's digested quickly. A couple slices of whole wheat toast and a couple of scrambled eggs with that banana & juice would be a much better breakfast for her. Foods higher in fiber, proteins, whole grains - are what she needs to be eating. Sorry if this came across harsh, but it's the truth/reality. I have 4 kids who eat me out of house & home (they're 2-8) so I've learned how to feed them better!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I agree with the anon first poster. Poptarts are crap. An occaisional snak of one , okay. Never as a breakfast main entree though. whole grain peanut butter toast would be a much better option. When my kids and grandkids start eating like this it usually lasts 1-3 weeks. All the sudden they eat hardly anything for a week and 2 weeks later everything they own is outgrown. When mine are in growth spurt mode I try to keep lots of fruit around esp. grapes, tangeloes, berries...easy to grab and go stuff.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The foods you listed are empty calories with lots of sugary carbs that do leave you hungry again quickly. I agree with the post above on what other foods to give her to fill her up, also try oatmeal, and not the sugared filled ones. I also think that either water or milk is better than so much juice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• That was kind of a junk food meal honestly. I didn't see any protein in there. Pop tarts is white flour, sugar and fake fruit flavor.
    OJ is a lot of sugar, empty calories.
    The banana is good.
    Go-gurt? I don't buy it, but I'm guessing it's a junk food. They probably put fake flavors and colors in their to appeal to the kids.

Try getting some protein in the meal; peanut butter, meat, etc. It will help your child feel full longer.
    All those sugary foods are setting your child up for a "sugar high" and then a "crash". The crash makes the child think they are hungry even though they have consumed more than enough calories.

Replace the pop tart with oatmeal.
    Replace the OJ with milk or water.
    Replace the gogurt with real (sugar and HFCS free) yogurt and some fruit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Agree with PPs and also - sometimes, if you feed them "crap" foods, kids will often say they're hungry just because they like the TASTE of something and not because they are actually hungry. Offer her carrot sticks as a snack and see if she's still hungry.
    Anonymous

• After rereading this, it is ok to give her orange juice...OJ is an excellent source of Vitamin C and some even have added calcium. Too much milk gives too much fat in the diet.

You can try giving her a glass of water, she could be dehydrated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i agree with the pp's- try a hard boiled or scrambled egg if she likes them with a glass of oj and some whole wheat toast- that will probably hold her over longer. save the pop tarts for snack time and then only one- if u look at the nutritional facts the serving size is really only one pop tart even though they put 2 in a pouch
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Poptarts..way to much sugar, try oatmeal or if she dont like that try breakfast bars, homemade of course so you can regulate how much sugar she is getting.
    homeskool008

Answer by homeskool008 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My first reaction was the sugar is making her crave more food, particularly junk food. I also agree that you should give water before more food. We tend to get dehydrated and kids especially will mistake thirst for hunger.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009