breastfeeding moms...

not sure where to ask this..
ive been breastfeeding for 6 weeks and the past couple days ive been so hungry..i mean so hungry that ill go to mcdonalds, eat a large value meal and then come home and want a full meal..
i was like this before i found out i was pregnant before so im wondering if any other breastfeeding moms experienced this before i assume a second pregnancy..it came out of nowhere

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yea, you're burning about 500 calories a day breastfeeding. In another month or so your body should regulate itself. You maybe eating more, but not crazy amounts. I went though the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• You do use more calories when making milk than you did even as pregnant.
    Are you choosing healthy options? Fast food won't supply the nutrients you require, so you might be having a deficiency, too.
    Avoid fast foods as much as you can. It's great to have lots of little snacks through the day~ try to make them as close to how nature provided as possible (for better health). Like fresh, raw, unprocessed foods.
    Be sure to drink a lot of water, too!
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Yea, I was ravenously hungry until mine was about 5 mo old. I had more cravings during this period then when I was pregnant. Babies usually go thru a growth spurt round 6 weeks so she's requiring more milk, your body's working hard to keep up with the demand.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I still get hungry like that after 11 months! Go for healthier things than McDonald's, though. Foods that are high in fiber will fill you up better- my faves are nut mixes w/ dark chocolate, and granola bars. Those made great mid-night nursing snacks for me. And always make sure you are getting enough water- studies have shown that people commonly mistake thirst for hunger, so next time, try drinking a bottle of water and eating a handful of almonds or something and see how that sits instead of making a fast-food run.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2009