Does anyone know how old a baby has to be before you can start feeding them a little rice cereal in their bottle?

My baby is two weeks old and she eats normal during the day. But at night she takes an hour at a time to eat and she only eats 2 ounces then about an hour later she is up and hungry again. I heard that I could add a really small amount of rice cereal to help keep her belly full. Is this true and how would I know how much to feed her? I would love to sleep at least 2 to 3 hours at a time and I have to go back to work soon since we need money so I need some sleep. Any suggestion would be great. I feed her right before bed but even that does not help.

Tat_9280

Asked by Tat_9280 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU NEVER ADD CEREAL TO A BOTTLE. *ESPECIALLY* just so you can get a little more sleep. That is just frigging lazy. Your child's stomach can't handle it yet, AND even when your child is old enough for cereal, you are NEVER SUPPOSED TO FEED IT OUT OF A BOTTLE. It is a serious choking hazard.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• ask your pedi about it. My sister did it at 4months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Augh, 2wks is too young to start that IMO, I agree with pp talk to your pedi about it first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I'm sorry to say but anon is right. Never add cereal to the bottle. They say to start cereal (with a baby spoon) around 6 months but I think you can try it sooner like 4 months and see how she does. I would suggest giving her a bath before bedtime with the Johnson's bedtime bath and bedtime lotion. I know it seems crazy but it actually does help. Also it's pretty normal to have this issue as she is only 2 weeks old. And I wrapped my son in a swaddler when he was newborn and it seemed to help him sleep better. It reminds them of being in the womb. I know it seems like you'll never sleep again but try to enjoy this time. It'll be over before you know it. GL
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Cereal is a solid food and as PP's have said don't ever put it in the bottle. At two weeks old, she's going to need to eat during the night. She isn't going to sleep through the night until she's at least 2 months old. Cereal is okay to start ON A SPOON between 4 and 6 months. A lot of people put it in the bottle, but that is wrong. Your baby will eventually sleep through the night, just takes time and patience and LOTS of caffiene lol. You'll get through it, just sleep when she sleeps. I know this advice is hard to take because you want to do everything around the house while she's asleep, but give yourself a break, you've just had a baby. Best of luck to ya!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Well at 2 weeks, she's still learning this whole eating and hungar thing. It takes a while and I knwo you are tired. Unless she is refluxing, she shouldn't have cereal at her age. The guideline is 4-6 months.
    Babies can go through their first growth spurt at 2 weeks, so try and nap when she's napping. Also if she is taking that long to eat at night, take the bottle away. Give her a paci instead, she just may need the suckling and not the food. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, I just got to start sleeping thru the night 2 weeks ago, mine's 7 mo. 2 week olds are supposed to wake up every couple of hours to eat, their bodies need the constant nutrition cuz they're growing so much. 2 oz @ a time is normal. Sleep is gonna be an elusive dream for awhile, sorry!! Nap when she sleeps, its the only way to survive. Housework can wait. @ 2 weeks her digestive system can't handle the ingredients in the cereal & you may be setting her up for food allergies later on by introducing the cereal too early. Stock up on coffee & welcome to motherhood!!! You'll lose sleep alot over the next years, just wait till she's out on a date & its past curfew lol!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• You don't put cereal in a bottle unless a doctor recommends it and that is usually only for reflux.

She wakes to eat, feed her. Welcome to motherhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Your not supposed to put cereal in their bottle it is a choking hazard. Rice cereal is also no better than putting sugar in the infants bottle. If the baby is hungry just give them more breast milk or formula. They don't need solids until 6 months old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I waited until 4 1/2 months to give my son cereal and some still said that was too young. But I never put it in the bottle I always fed it to him with a spoon and made it really runny at first. Ask your doctor but I think 2 weeks is way too young.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2009