Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I help my boys to deal with their father's serious illness?

James is going to be going through another heart transplant, or we might even lose him. It's very serious and very complicated and I'm trying to get as much support as possible, but how else can I help my boys to get through this? Bowen is 6 and in first grade and Gavin is 20 months.

Answer Question

Asked by MelbieMom at 10:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • ((((((((HUGS TO YOU))))))) my prayers are with you, your husband and your family.
    To answer your question, I'd say ask the experts. Call your pediatrician for advice or for a referral to a child psychologist. In my experience, one meeting with the psychologist, by yourself to explain the situation will give him enough info to advise you what to say and do. As if you need one more thing to do right now. But maybe your pedi can answer well enough because he will know your kids and family all ready.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • Take Bowen to a child psychologist and have them help you explain it and help your child cope with the major life changes that the family will be going through. Not sure how to tell a 20 month old that won't understand much anyway. You could tell them that daddy has an owie in his heart and he needs to get an operation to fix it. Take things one day at a time. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I wish you all the best.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.