Need Christmas Eve Ideas....

I am looking for some ideas of things to do with my kids on Christmas eve. We open gifts at one of the inlaws houses so the whole open new PJ's/one gift on Christmas eve thing won't work. But, I want to start some traditions that we can do even if we are not at home.

Any ideas?? (kids are 3 & 5) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Holidays

• OP Here: I am looking for something special to do with the kids while at my in-laws - we already open all the gifts they give us that night, so the pj thing is out. We are at their house so going anywhere would not be right, since since are at their house visiting and that would be rude. Plusthey only live 10 min. way. Can't do cookies at my MIL's - she'd have a fit if anything got "messy".  

I was looking for some ideas of things that we could make our tradition no matter if we are stuck at the inlaws or at home. Movie thing is out cause I'd have to sit the kids in another room, and I want to be around them. Can ya see why I am stuck for ideas.... I just don't know how to make it special for them...

Anonymous

• With my nieces and nephews(this will be my son's first Christmas) I have always let them help me make cookies on Christmas eve. I know you can't do it if you aren't home always but maybe you could do it at the in laws house.
    We also sing Christmas songs together while SO plays guitar. Also we do the one gift thing. The kids get to pick the gifts they open.
    Good Luck,
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• This is also not one you can do if you aren't at home, but I just had to share it anyway :) Growing up for Christmas Eve dinner each member of the family would pick a different dish and only tell my mom. We took turns in the kitchen helping mom make our part of the meal and then sat down as a family for the most random dinner ever. There were 7 of us so there was lots of food. Until I was ten I picked PB&J sandwiches every year. My brother ALWAYS picked pizza, and my dad never strayed from potato casserole.

Here are some you can do while driving:
    Listen to a reading of Luke 2.
    With your kids, count how many houses you see lit up with Christmas lights.

bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 12:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• We always go to the candlelight service at church on Christmas Eve (probably any church will have some kind of service) and I think that's a great tradition to start because that's the whole reason for the holiday. Other than that, we always drive around looking at Christmas lights, then go home, they get to open their new PJ's, and they each get either a christmas DVD or book, and we watch a Christmas movie, then read "The Night Before Christmas" and the Nativity Story, and then kids are off to bed by midnight.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• We live in Texas and have a Feliz Navidad fiesta. (We aren't hispanic but man it is soooo fun) We buy a Santa pinata and break it as a family. We make tons of good tex mex food. We make a big to do out of it. It is our favorite night of the year. So much fun!
    Anonymous