were your after birth pains worse for your 2nd child than your first? i mean the contractions for shrinking up the uterus.

hey ladies i'm just 9 weeks but i just read last night in my pregnancy book that the afterpains are worse with 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc) births than with the first. it didn't say why, so i was curious. was this true for you? i can't really remember the afterpains too much but i do remember them hurting quite a bit especially while breastfeeding and especially the first day or two. i only have the one child and he was born a little over 2 years ago.

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I only have one child so far, but in my midwifery studies I have learned that yes, for most women afterbirth pains are worse for each subsequent pregnancy.

I feel lucky that I only had a mild crampy feeling with my first lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Well I have four girls and I am pregnant with the fifth baby (and final) and I am sorry to say that all that fades in my mind....I do remember that the fourth one was a bit worse than I could remember feeling before but with the new baby and the hussle and bussle of the other kids....there really was not much time to deal with my own pain....Sorry I know not much help....But I thought that I would Just tell ya what I recalled
    AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 12:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• yes i remeber being in more pain with sec child than 1st .. i was crying it hurt so bad
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 12:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It was about the same for me, which surprised me. My first was a C-section, so I thought a lot of the tenderness came from the incision rather than the contractions, but it hurt exactly the same after my vaginal birth the second time around. I hurt a bit worse when I nursed for the first couple of days, but overall not too unbearable.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my second
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I had mild cramping with my first, with my second I was dying! I wish someone would have told me that it would only last a couple days (was gone by day 3 for me) because I was in tears thinking it was never going to end! I found that when I nursed I kept a hot back on my back or stomach. Mostly my back since I had back labor and that is where I felt all the pain from cramping. While it does hurt, remember that it is short lived and you can take Ibuprofen (I think? someone correct me?!) which does help! :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't remember if it was w/ my 2nd preg or not, but my 3rd I felt like I was going to die! You know how everyone has those beautiful first nursing pics, in mine, my face still looked like I was in labor! It was horrible, I am def taking something strong this time if I need to! And I'll have it for IMMED after birth!
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 4:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my were so much worse with my second child. i am not a whimp by any means but some of my pain with my son were horrible, like curled up on the floor horrible.
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 12:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My 1st was the worst. 2nd was bad..I did not have them with the twins. But they were so bad with the first 2 that I had to do my lamaze breathing. I think it was worse than labor.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes, they were worse with the second.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2009