Shots and Spaying/Neutering

Hi! We're thinking about getting a puppy for my daughters for Christmas. I was looking up shots and stuff and I just don't know which shots dogs NEED. I know rabies and parvo but is there anymore?

And would it be okay if we waited until January/February to get our dog spayed or neutered? I don't want to be irresponsible and I was our new puppy to be loved and taken care of.
Thanks in Advance!

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pets

• your vet's office usually offers a "combo" vax, that covers the shots your puppy will need.
    Parvo, Lepto, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza...are usually the common ones in your combination vaccinations. And rabies is also a must have. it depends on your geographical area and what diseases they see the most fit to vax for in your area.
    just make sure you keep up on the booster shots as well. usually whenever you start a shot regimen, they then get boosters 3-4 wks later.

and about spaying/nuetering...usually anytime is okay. younger puppies just bounce back quicker than older dogs. but usually within the first year is ideal.

any other questions let me know!
    I'm a Vet Tech student. :)
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It is going up on price ....       we no longer can afford a cat or dog check your country vet for a cheaper prise...or the city pound

Anonymous

• Thanks!! My uncle works for the city Animal Shelter in his town so I called him and asked him which ones they needed. He said the only one that is REQUIRED is rabies but also the canine distemper/parvo and the bordetella are important - even if they aren't state-required.

My husband was just worried that we'd need to get them spayed/neutered right away and if we could afford it RIGHT NOW. But the puppies are only 4 months old and my uncle said that 6 months was usually THEIR minimum but that he recommends 8 months.
    THANKS so much for answering me though! :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The puppy will need 3 or 4 set of vaccines the Dhlpp +C or just DHlpp depending on your area and the dog. this is a combo shot Distemper hepitis, lepto parvo and i am drawing a blank on the other l but the c is corrona virus. Rabies is a must. It will of course dependo on the breed if it needs to be groomed alot because groomers require the bordatella shot but this vaccine actually causes kennal cough more then it prevents so i do not use this one. I work with dogs too and just don't it is as necessary as the others. 6 months is when most vets will spay/neuter
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• If you get a dog from a shelter they will usually include the cost for updating shots and spaying/neutering in the adoption fee. All of thay will be done before you pick the dog up. We paid $80 for all our dog's initial shots and to have her spayed. You might call around to the different shelters and see how they do that.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• If you are getting a toy dog then do not give it the lepto part of the combo shot.If the puppy is going to have a problem with the shot the lepto will most likely be the cause.Also the rabies should be given in the rear leg if the dog is a small one.I had a Maltese that developed a growth on her neck from the rabies shot.It had to be removed and was sent in to pathology.The report came back stating that is was caused by the rabies.Since then I don't allow my vet to give it anywhere but the hind leg.My dogs are show dogs so the get the intranasal bordatella every year and none of them have come down with kennel cough.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2009