uuuh does this really happen?

So my DH bestfriends girlfriend just told me when she had her baby she had terrible pains afterwards like someone was stabbing her and she bled and bled for like 3 days. She said she would just squat in the tub and cry and cry while she bled... WTF? i've never heard anything like that before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• there is bleeding afterward but I don't think that kind of pain is normal. There are after pains that are like cramping as your uterus contracts, but I have never heard of it being that severe without there being some sort of complication.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I had cramping for a few days and I bled for 3-4 weeks (light) but I did not have anything like that. If I were her I would have called my OB imediatly.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• well it's normal to bleed sort of heavily for days afterwards so most women wear pads, then the bleeding is supposed to slow down, but there can be bleeding for weeks.

and there are the afterpains i was asking about in the other question that if i remember right just feel like bad cramps or like not-so-bad labor contractions. but it sounds like maybe she meant stabbing pains in her vagina? if so i think she should definitely ask her OB or midwife about it.
    Anonymous

• The bleeding is normal, as are the pains from the uterus contracting as it shrinks back to pre-pregnancy size. But it was never that bad for me. It was always worst when the nurses were poking and prodding at it, and sometimes when I was nursing...never for no reason.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Is this woman a bit of a wimp? I know the after pains can be pretty bad if youve had a traumatic birth but unless something went wrong or she has other issues, I dont know why it would be that bad. For me, after birth was like a heavy period and I was so in awe of my new baby that I didnt worry about how uncomfortable I was.
    Anonymous

• I had a c-section with my daughter and I was in horrible pain for about 2 weeks. I bled for 13 days, and I couldn't get outta bed for 10. I nursed my daughter and that made my uterus contract and the pain just a little worse, but nothing too bad. Did you friend have a natural?
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I had a completely natural labor and delivery (no medications whatsoever) with no complications and the afterpains were AWFUL. I actually took Motrin for them. My DH thought it was funny that I didnt need meds for labor/birth but I needed them afterwards. That was awful pain and I'm no wimp! And bleeding is normal for a few weeks after.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• With my first I bled afterwards for 8 weeks!!! And it's wasn't light at all. Full of clumps too. For my second it was 4-6 weeks I bled, not as heavy as with my first.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2009