question for mom's with 3 kids (or more)

Just curious, we are thinking about maybe having a third child, was the transition from 2 to 3 hard, any tips, good age gaps etc. Thanks :) (oh just fyi i have two boys 5 and 3)

82ndairbornewif

Asked by 82ndairbornewif at 12:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• To me it was easier going from 2 to 3 than it was from 1 to 2.
    Anonymous

• I don't remember it being hard. When our third child was born, our oldest was 7 and the middle one was 4. I do remember having to allow extra time when picking up and dropping off the older ones at school, so as to have time to get the baby situated. The bottom line is that there is no perfect age difference and you will learn to adjust to each new addition. It always takes a little time and a revamping of the routine, but it is all doable.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I didnt find it hard to adjust from 2 to 3, or 3 to 4 for that matter. Like pp said, just need more time sometimes when going out of the house. You get into a routine, just like you did with the other kids.
    Anonymous

• I'm about to have #4, and for me going from 2 to 3 was hard. I think that is mostly because my third child was more 'high needs' though. For the first 18mos. of his life he only wanted me, and would cry and scream and cling to my leg as I was trying to cook, clean, go potty, etc. He wouldn't even go to his Daddy! It was also harder because I was (and still am) running around a lot w/ my older 2 kids - dropping them off at school and going to their various activities, etc. It's much better now that he is 2 and he plays w/ his older brothers though! I'm nervous about adding a fourth, but I'm sure it will all work itself out too.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Yes the transition was easy for us.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It was harder for us, but there was only 11 months between the last two....with the age difference you'd have, it should be pretty easy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It is much easier going from 2 to 3 than 1 to 2.....really the 3rd one doesn't really make alot of difference, in terms of work you do. I think the age gap you have now is pretty good, I'd say go ahead and try for number 3 when ever you feel ready. GL
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 2:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The biggest issue for us having our third was not the transition itself (which was pretty easy to manage- it was harder going from 1-2 than 2-3) but just having to manage the day to day activities of three kids. Ours are now seven, five, and almost three and we are BUSY between schoolwork, activities, etc. Once all three are in school and all activites are evenings/weekends my dh and I may not see each other at all anymore! LOL! We don't overschedule them, but between school/homework/one activity apiece weekly there is a lot of running around that needs to be done every single day to keep on top of everyone's needs! I thought it would get less hectic once my eldest went to school full time but I'm not finding that to be the case at all!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I didn't find there to be a transition at all when my third child was born. The only thing that I thought would be a challenge was going out with all three of them, since they are all close in age, was going to the grocery store..BUT, nope, every store we go to has those shopping cards where 2 kids can sit on a bench or in a car and you can have the front for the baby. Now, mine ar 5,4 and 2 and we go everywhere and I started this when my son was only a couple of months old. Piece of cake!
    Anonymous

• I thought it was hard. I have only 2 hands and three kids. Where am I going to put everybody? How do I spend time placing each one to bed and give them all the attention they need? I hope you have a very good hubby that really helps you out because this would make a worlds of a difference! I dont think I got enough help from mine. One major blah for me was that the baby would take a morning nap and an evening nap. So my toddler had an afternoon nap. Their naps were NOT coordinated for the first year. Someone was always awake.

Then again, you are a very experienced mommy now and your oldest will be occupied at school and your middle child will be getting a playmate. GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2009