why is my 12 month old suddenly screaming at nap and bedtime?

as soon as she is laid into the crib she starts screaming hysterically and if she is taken out she stops right away. normally i wouldn't be fazed by a few tears but the cries are impossible to listen to. please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They go to an attachment phase where they want you to lay with them until they fall asleep. It could be due to nightmares, or just the fact that they want the comfort of a parent laying beside them when they go to sleep.
    Anonymous

• Could be she just doesn't want to go to sleep. She's discovering new things! It's all so exciting! If my son isn't tired tired, I let him stay up through his nap. He loves that he can walk around now, he can dance, and he can stoop to pick up things and not fall. He gets so excited over these thing that sometimes he doesn't want to take a nap
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• With my son he just doesnt want to be in his bed. Even though hes tired, so what I have to do it literally chase him around until he flops down on the floor and doesnt want to move. Sometimes I just have to let him cry and at the end of nap time if hasnt slept I'll pull him out and pretty much he has to deal until the next nap time.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Put her down, then leave the room. Wait five minutes before checking on her. If you immediately pick her up everytime she cries, you are reinforcing to her that crying=mommy picks me up, and I don't have to rest in my crib. It's hard to hear the crying, but she needs the rest period.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my daughter was doing that at about 12 months and I switched her to a toddler bed and the crying stopped immediately
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009