Vinyard churches?

Does anyone have experience with the Vinyard Church (Association of Vinyard Churches)? I came across a refernece to them while researching the Shakers. Apparently it is a rather new movement, but has a lot in common with the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing (Shakers). In my town there is a church that meets at the YMCA (rents out space from them the Y isn't holding the services) that uses the name Vinyard Church but I don't know anyone who attends. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about them & what everyone's general impressions about them are.

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've gone to a vineyard church and i've been to a vineyard church. they've not real new.. they've ben around at least 20 years. i enjoyed their services.. teaching straight from the bible. casual atmosphere.. when i showed up i was wearing slacks and a shirt and felt over dressed. there teachings aren't flakey... just sound biblical truths from the word of God.

here's a link

http://www.vineyardusa.org/site/
    Anonymous

• Vineyard Churches have been around since the 70's 80's and started by John Wimber. I used to attend. Each church is autonomous but all believe the same basic beliefs set in the main Vineyard Site.. They have wonderful worship music as well. They are Charismatic in flavor but of a different river than say Toronto Aiport Christian Fellowship which USED to be a Vineyard but went a different direction but not off the bible either.
    I left the Vineyard Church here where I live because the Pastor was ... stepping into the realm of pride and putting himself higher than us and because of our past experiences with another church before that... we left. We were not about to get burned. I couldn't exercise my gifts very freely either. It stunk. Now understand not every Vineyard is like this. I have heard of some really good ones across the USA and Canada. You just have to check them out,
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Answered at 3:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 by: Shaneagle777
    I couldn't exercise my gifts very freely either.

Could you explain this, what does exercise my gifts mean? This is something the Vinyard has in common with Shakers. I read a description but it was very intellectual rather than by someone involved & I am not sure I really got it.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Shaneagle....do you mean the gifts of the Spirit?
    Anonymous