Did you make fine tuned plans for your other kids during your pregnancy?

I keep seeing ladies here opting for or wanting to be induced because of childcare situations with their other kids. I dont get this at all. We all know how long an average pregnancy is and if you have other kids you have roughly 9 months to make plans for who will care for them when the time comes for giving birth!
Why do I keep seeing so many moms freaking out and worrying about who will watch their other kids? Doesnt anyone think to plan these sorts of things as far ahead of time as possible? I know things come up but thats why you have a back up plan in place, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some people don't have close family/friends that they can rely on. I understand this, but I am with you, I have plans for my DD when this one comes, I already have 5 different people who will watch her.
    Anonymous

• OP here
    I completely understand being far away from family and friends, I am a military wife and I havent lived near any family or had many friends anywhere that we have lived, but when my hubby was in Iraq and I was due to have our 2nd child, I had several folks lined up to watch my daughter and I made sure to have it all taken care of pretty early on so I didnt have to freak out at the end when I went into labor.
    Anonymous

• i told my mom to have fun! i had my first at 17, and my mom was preg at the same time so they are 4 months apart and i told her when i go to have this baby to have fun with the two year olds and please dont let them burn my house down lol
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 1:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I know what you are saying! And to answer your question, for us, our plan was to stay home and our son was going to either participate in the birth, be sleeping (which is what he did), or hang out with his grandma in his play room. It worked out beautifully. Not that I would ever go to the hospital to have a baby, but if I did, I would have my husband bring our children with him. I have been around babies being born since I was 5 and it didn't traumatize me. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i agree with the first reply that some people have no friends or family where they live. it's pretty sad to be so isolated :( our family is 2 hours away now, and we don't have friends nearby because we just moved. but we do at least have 7 mos until our baby is due so hopefully we can make arrangements ;) my thought right now is to ask his day care teacher to watch him when i go into labor. she runs the day care and her husband,mom, sister all work there, and they are really great, so i hope they can do that for us until a grandma can come pick him up. i would never get induced for that reason just because i think induction is too risk to do unless there is a serious risk to the health of baby or mom with staying pregnant, which fortunately doesn't happen too often :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• im only about 2 months pregnant, and i already have it set up for dd when i go into labor.

since dh works in LA most days (we live in san diego), my mom is on call to pick us up to go to the hospital if necessary. we will drop dd off at my grandma's house where she will stay till the baby is born. depending on what time of day the baby comes, my mom will pick her up and bring her to te hospital to visit, or back to her house for the night. if my grandma is unavailable that day, she will go to my aunts house.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My plans were always to have my child come with us, never leave my presence, and that's what happened. :-)

I like having children present if/when they want to be. It's nice to know that they are cared for and near by!

I have been assigned "Child Wrangler" for births before, as have other doulas-midwives. A normal option. It's especially nice when the older siblings are still very young themselves to be in their normal home environment and with people that they know & love.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• it's not that simple, my SO and I split up in when I was 6 months because of him physically abusing me. Everyone else in my family works full time. Even if you have 9 months to prepare, u never know when the baby is actually going to come. In my case, if I was to go in labor in between 9-5, I would call my aunts, but they would be at work, and still have to wait to get permission from a supervisor to leave. Also, the hospital im delivering at has instituted a new rule where no one under the age of 18 is allowed at the hospital at all because of the H1N1 epidemic. So not only could I go in labor and have to wait for someone to come get her before I can leave for the hospital, I would also have to make sure they can get 3 days off from work to watch her while im recovering.
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009