concerned mother....:(

Im very worried about my 20mth old son. I was told by his dr. that he was behind on his weight:( which is 24 lbs and i'm not sure what to make of it! He is in the 25% on his weight and he is 33in tall...which dont worry me just his weight. He has always been tiny for age, but I am now desperate for any suggestions on how to put at least 1-2 lbs on him if not more. he has also been sick for the 2wks with a runny nose and chest congestion, so he hasnt wanted to eat, but anything will help! How bad does his weight sound to you at his height and age??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry about it as long as his weight and height are increasing proportiately. Do you get WIC? I would give them a call if you are concerned. They can be really helpful with nutrition.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 1:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Has his percentile dropped drastically? Because there's nothing wrong with being in the 20th percentile... unless he was in a high percentile last appointment.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I could have sworn I answered this question last night. It just means that 25-50% of other kids his age are the same height/weight. That's not too bad actually, maybe gain a few pounds. My 4 year old son is 36 in. and 40 lbs. Pretty skinny, but he's so active, running and jumping. Plus, his dad is pretty thin, too. So maybe it's the genes for yours too. For food suggestions, try foods with more protein and carbs. Maybe those pediatric milk shake drinks will help, like Pediasure.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my son just turned two and wieghs 24 lbs... he's in the 10th percentile... and they aren't worry...

but like others say he was always small and is progressing on his wieght.. up from the 5 percentile.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• thank you I was lookin for someone I could relate to! I hate drs. they always make me worry lol
    Anonymous

• It's not so much the weight as it is his growth curve. Is he still following his growth curve?
    Anonymous

• My son's 20 months old and at his 18 month appt he was 31 in and 30 pounds. He's always followed the same curve though and was normally "off the charts" but finally came back in "normal" range. I really wouldnt worry about it. Kids are all different sizes....as long as his weight didn't drop way down from his last appt. I really wouldnt worry about it. And if it's really bothering you, I'd suggest a new pediatrician.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I know boys have a different chart, but my daughter is close to 3 and is only 23 pounds. She is in the bottom percentile, she has always been small and healthy. My doctor said as long as she is gaining and is healthy she is fine. I was worried for a while but since she has energy and eats I stopped worrying. Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Give him foods that are high in calories to help increase his weight.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• lat time mine was weighed he was lower than the 20th percentile, my doc said not to worry as long as he was getting his milk and told me that after 1 he can and should have 2% milk bc being overweight runs in my family.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009