Forks and Spoons??

When do or did u start teaching ur LO to use forks and spoons...kids one or adult ones???

howardsmom

Asked by howardsmom at 2:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Now, she is 2, adult ones o.o
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• About 11 months for a fork and about 18 months for a spoon. Adult ones...well, the salad fork anyway. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My daughter uses the toddler ones and she is 16 months. She doesn't use the spoon well at all, but she is getting better with her fork.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I gave my son a spoon to hold while I fed him at about 7 months old. I started showing him how to use it at about 9 months old. He is 13 yrs old now and has been using a spoon on his own since about 11 months old. It wasn't always neat or proper but he was feeding himself. I used child sized forks and spoons until he was about 3.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Well about 13-15 months for my kids. I like the curved spoons. I cant give my LO a fork because now he knows how to "launch" food.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my skids learned on toddler forks/spoons and for some odd reason were stillusing them when I married my husband this year. They "magically got lost" during our move and we really had to work on how to use the real ones (they are 5 and 7). We can thank the grandparents for that one. I will definately start early with my first one and have them using real ones by 3 to 3 1/2. You have to adapt to your kids but if you do nto teach them they never learn.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't remember ever "teaching" them. But from the time they started self feeding I left a toddler spoon in their dish. So around 7-8 months. My youngest was using a spoon without spilling by 16 months, even eating soup and cereal with them.
    I think all 4 of my kids were eating with a spoon/fork without help by 18 months (of course, they made a mess but at least they tried).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2009