*not a debate*Christians-do you celebrate a commercial Christmas along with the Birth of Christ?

or do you mix the celebrations? If you put the commercial Christmas like Santa in with the Birth of Christ how do you do it.

thanks in advance for respecting the question and not turning it into a debate

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, we do both. Our family participates in church Christmas programs, Handel's Messiah sing-alongs, service to others, and we always read Luke 2 as a family. Its easy to do both.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 2:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I haven't done it YET, my son is only 1, but next year, I'll explain to him the reason we celebrate Christmas is because of Jesus, the birth of Jesus, we'll do the whole nativity scene....but I'll still tell him Santa brings presents, to write Santa a letter telling what he wants, etc. I want him to know the REAL reasons about Christmas, that's very important to me, but also don't want him to miss out on "Santa coming" and leaving cookies and milk out for him.
    As a kid, I wasn't allowed to believe in Santa, or the Easter bunny, or go trick or treating. I don't want my son to miss out on those things, but I will make sure he knows the real reasons we celebrate those holiday's too. I don't see any harm in a little fun and make believe...after all they're kids. But like I said, the real reasons are very important to me, so he will know what those are. :)
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• thanks bootsky. Is Santa anywhere around during Church? A few years ago Santa placed the baby Jesus in the manger. My mom got really mad about it. I have always mixed the celebration and can find some kind of symbolism in the secular and non secular symbols of the season.
    Anonymous

• mamie2shoes, my children don't believe in Santa but they do go trick or treating. I don't know abut the Easter Bunny. I n ever taught it, but who knows what they pick up at school.
    Anonymous

• My kids are still little, 3, 2 and 3 1/2 months but Christmas is mainly about the birth of Christ. They have a little kid nativity they can play with and not break. When we have Christmas with my parents my dad always reads Luke 2. We don't really talk about Santa. He is mainly the man who comes to the mall at Christmastime. We wave to him. I haven't ever gotten their picture taken with him but if they would ask to sit on his lap I would let them. We just don't make a big deal about it I guess. My brother and sil told their kids that Santa just brought the presents in their stockings and the presents under the tree where from family that way they still learned to say thank you I guess. If Santa was at our church and put Baby Jesus in the manger I probably would be in shock. I guess we don't really mix them like that. it is all personal preference.
    Anonymous

• we actually never did a Jesus' birth related Christmas anything, but my parents are very involved Christians. when all the "Christmas is Pagan stuff" hit our church my parents were really worried about it so instead of taking away Christmas we started only celebrating the secular holiday. we always knew about Jesus' birth b/c of things taught in church that time of year, but the church was very big on adding "its not really Jesus' birthday tho" to everything Christmas related. i remember in 11th grade my mom bought the first nativity set that was ever in our home & it felt kinda odd.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• We do both! We celebrate and tell the story of Kris kringle, and we talk about the birth of Jesus.
    When my oldest asked how I could lie about Santa, I told her I didn't, it was my chance to be Mrs Claus. It's a great time of year!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• NO we don't, we don't decorate or put a tree up but we do talk about Jesus's birth and give a couple gifts spend time with our family this year it'll be my ds 1st birthday so we'll probably have a cake and celebrate his bday too :o)
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• both
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009