Holiday decorations

I thought the now closed question about decor was a good one & I feel bad that it got sucked into the Christian/not Christian Christmas argument (and that I let myself get sucked into it). So lets try it this way;

What holiday decorations do you use or love & what do they mean to you regardless of how they originated?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My favorite decoration that I use is a big ball of golden lights, this hangs in the middle of our living room & represents to me rebirth of the Sun that follows the longest night. I also decorate with a lot of snowflakes, snowmen & ice fairies, to me they represent the spirits of winter.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• We have Christmas pillow cases. Each family member has a different festive print and we pull them out every December.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 2:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My hubby's family has a tradition of collecting a new ornament each year.  We get one as a couple and each of the kids gets one.  It's fun to reminisce about Christmas' past.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• For me, it's the tree. We have all kinds of lights and ornaments on it. Most of the ornaments we have had for a long time and they hold special memories. As for the lights on the tree, it's more of a beacon of light in the darkness of winter to me, I guess.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Stockings, I am crazy for them! I really am a minimilast type, so the tree is not my gig, but I do it anyway LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The Santa Frog. DH spent nearly an hour getting it out of a claw machine when I was pregnant (after the first $5 it was a principle thing). Now it's under the tree every year and we take a pic of DS with it under the tree each year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• We have our Christmas tree- before kids it used to be nicely colour co-ordinated to our living room, now with the three kids it is always coated in dollar store decorations and home-made items of dubious aesthetic appeal, and I like it so much better this way! I also have a snowman theme going on, every year I add another snowman decoration to my assortment. I feel like the Christmas stuff has to go after New Year, but snowman can hang around until March.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• everyone gets a new ornament for the tree every year. its a tradition my mom did w/ us & im bringing into my family. it makes decorating the tree more special & just gives everyone that warm feeling.

i like to hang the cards we get (even if they are trying to sell us something) up around the frame of the door to our living room. i keep the super pretty ones year to year cause they are a free decoration & it reminds us what our friends/family were doing thru the years.

i also LOVE the icicle lights outdoors...im trying to talk DH into hanging some up this year now that we can do that sorta thing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my usual xmas-decor doesn't vary much from the traditional colors, red/green/gold/silver. sometimes, i may use more white/clear/crystal ornaments, sometimes its all santa-related. my nativity, which is lovely and cheap-bought each piece at the 'everything's $1' store- gets moved around year to year, sometimes on the mantle, sometimes on the bar (i have an open-concept living room/kitchen), sometimes on the buffet in the dining room. this year, i've chosen various white/glass snowflakes to hang from my chandelier/dining room, and the buffet will be decorated with various/sizes of all-white xmas trees, and my 2-ft tall white santa. i may have to incorporate some red/green, to coordinate with the living room. (sorry for going on and on, but i love holiday decorating!)
    the only thing we have that has sentimental meaning to us is a few handmade ornaments/decorations that family members have made. and our annual family portrait.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I have a ton of Hallmark ornaments that I've collected over the years. Some of them go way back to my elementary school days. Everyone has a memory for me. I haven't decorated in the past four to five years or so. (We ran out of room.) I plan to decorate this year. I'm sure it will be very emotional as, of course, this will be the first I've decorated since my husband died. Several of the ornaments he gave me. They will be all the more precious to me now. I love Christmas ornaments and like to have my tree loaded down! I'll probably spend the day bawling my eyes out...
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009