DNA Test..

Someone on here was talking about a dna test that is done with a mothers blood while being pregnant. and now I cant find the question on here.. or the website anymore does anyone know what this test is called

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Is this DNA for paternity? I'm not sure how a mother's blood would determine the baby's DNA for the father.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• ?? I've never heard of that, weird!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• A maternal test? Like the one that was done in Baby's Mama? In cases of surrogacy?
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Umm if you're talking paternaty test some women have a sample of the amnotic fluid taken and in some cases pateranty can be established that way. This is done later in pregnancy when the baby's urine is a primary ingrediant of the amniotic fluid. This test is not as precise as an actual blood test and for the most part is not excepted as proof of paternaty.
    Anonymous

• the test is based on the small chance tht some of the fetal blood will work its way into the mothers bloodstream, and then they can seperate it out in a sample and test for paternity. this, however, does not always happen which is why its not widely used.

ask your doctor, they would be the best source. but like it said, its not always possible.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Erika Wright, I am aware that its not used often, I was talking to a friend about this test and wanted to look it up but was unsure how to google it or look it up since im unsure of the name
    Anonymous

• yes, they do a test of the DNA from the amniotic fluid, the same way they do amniocentesis for birth defects.
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2009