why no hottubs?

Heard no hotubs and heating blankets while being pregnant why?

miss_nevin

Asked by miss_nevin at 3:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if the temp is too hot it can hurt the baby!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Along with fevers, if baby gets too hot, it can cause brain damage.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 3:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• No, actually it's just in case the mother passes out because you are more likely to pass out when pregnant in hot temperatures. It can't hurt the baby.
    Anonymous

• Anon: Thats definitely not true. I'm a nursing student and was taught that babies in the womb cant regulate their own body temperature. Any elevation of your body temperature elevates the temperature of the amniotic fluid and therefore the baby. And it can cause brain damage.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Anon that is wrong!! It's because the hot tub raises the mom's body temp. A temp over 102 can hurt the baby. It is very easy to get to 102 in a hot tub! Please learn some facts before answering questions!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• man I wish I would have know this i was in a hottub yesterday, and im 3 months pregnant
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 4:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• It is just not good to be in anything hotter than your outside body temp....it raise your temp as well as the fetus, so bad idea, that being said wine and a hot tub is how DS was conceived LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• dont worry miss nevin, usually your body knows when it's too hot for comfort and will tell you to get out if it is too hot. I once took a warm bath, didnt really think about it being a "hot" bath and my body just...told me....to get out!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Things are different now, It is not a huge NO NO anymore . I read somewhere or my OB told me I cant remember . You can get in for a short time. Check into it .
    sarbreen28

Answer by sarbreen28 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2009