ok, so i made this comment last night how no denomination seemed to work for me...

And a CM gave me a quiz that said I'm a 100 percent orthodox quaker. Ok... Anybody on here a quaker and want to talk about it?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 4:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://www.quakerinfo.org/index.html

Here's a link that tells about them and there beliefs.  You can also google - Religous Society of Friends which is also the Quakers.  I had a friend whose husband was a Socity of Friends pastor and from discussions with her there was nothing that made me think there teachings were unbliblical. 

Anonymous

• Can you link me to that? I'd love to take the quiz and see what it says about me, lol!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I know about Quakers and they aren't the CM type. I may be able to answer some basic questions.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/index.aspx
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• wow. LOLOLOL now that is interesting loving. Bet you didn't expect to see that...I had taken one of those on a site, i forget which one but it told me i was 100 percent muslim. I was so happy to see that. LOLOLOL.

you must of been confused. Do quakers beleive in God? someone tried to explain it to me once but he didn't do a very good job.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Lol, yeah, I'm confused. What I got from the quiz was they believe in a non corporeal God, the trinity, a more scientific approach to the Bible, and living simply. I think those two are what got me. I believe God put us here as stewards of this earth, and that we should take great care of it, and not waste. It seems to be Christian based, with some groups being more tolerant than others.
    Yeah, I'm looking!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The Quakers (aka Society of Friends) are an interesting denomination. What I specifically remember about their doctrine is that they believe that you can have a personal relationship with God without an intermediary (priest or minister). They are pretty liberal. I also remember a pretty deep concept they hold about the resurrection of Christ - something to the effect that Christ didn't die & wasn't resurrected because he is always present & thus couldn't "die," the resurrection was the disciples interpretation of what happened when they saw Jesus again because humans tend to think in the concept of physical & human. Sorry that is a bad description & might not be right on, but it is something like that. It has been awhile since I read it. It is a very personal, spiritual, path.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Hmm...I'm a Secular Humanist. Sounds good to me!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• You are right on about living simply and being stewards of the earth. Mothers breastfeed and believe in authoritarian parenting. They would most likely attachment parent. Mothers try to be SAHMs or work part time. Kids have fewer toys. Christmas is less commercial.

Women usually dress simply - no make up, high heels, minimal jewlery, ect. They are usually humanists. Many will only work for companies that do not do anything that they find morally wrong. They do send their kids to public school and their kids do things like sports and scouts.

At a traditional Quaker Sunday morning gathering there is no leader. Everyone just sits around and prays. If someone feels like saying something they do. Modern churches may have a 'minister' to manage church business and lead Sunday meeting. It may be a woman.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Some Quakers don't have TVs, video games, or internet. If they do have TV it would be to watch PBS and Discovery Channel. It can be difficult for kids because they don't fit, they didn't even fit in the 1970s when my best friend was a Quaker and we were in middle and high school.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2009