How do I get my toddler to let me rinse her hair off during bath time !?

My DD will be 3 in January and she has never liked me rinsing her hair but the last few months she has gotten worse . She'll start SCREAMING , trying to get out of the bath, just all together throwing a fit I literily have to grip her and hold her down to rinse her hair . I feel bad for doing that but I have to or else she'll have shampoo left in her hair. I have tried EVERYTHING the cup that goes on the foreheadso that it doenst' get in the eyes, I have tried the shower sprayer NOTHING helps she still through such a fit . ANy suggestions???

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 4:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• WOW sometime I have the same prob wit my 2yr old. I have to make it a game and lay him back gently, reassuring him that it is ok. Or I make him lean his head back and rinse his hair under the bathtub faucet. Really, the problem is he doesn't want the water in his ears, eyes, or to get any in his nose by accident
    UmmRomaris

Answer by UmmRomaris at 4:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My son doesn't like water in his face at all. I have him look up and cover his eyes with a wash cloth. He still fusses, but I get his hair washed and rinsed.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 4:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my 5 yr old sd has this problem and it has gotten better. I turn the shower one and let her stand under it herself which makes her feel like a big girl and she covers her eyes with a washcloth.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Tape something to the cieling and have her look at it. Make a craft out of it. Maybe make a rainbow or something, tape to ceiling and then you get to say..."Where is your rainbow?" Oh! JUst popped into my head!!....you get to say "Hear comes the rain!" Cute.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• You just have to keep on rinsing her hair until all the soap is out. It's probably more of an attempt to control than it is a fear of the water. Does she play in the water in the summer? Do you take her to the pool? If she isn't afraid of it then, she isn't afraid of it now. And if she would sit still and not fight you, it's no problem at all to keep it out of her face. She is old enough to understand that and to give it a try. If there's anyone else who can help you hold her, I would even try that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My 3 yr old throws a fit when I rinse his hair so I started letting him take a shower. If I hold his hand so he doesn't feel like he is going to lose his balance, he will back up into the stream of the water and let it rinse his hair. He was fine once he was doing it rather than having it done to him.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• NannyB SHE LOVES water !!!!! Not afraid of water at all .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I went through the same thing with my daughter, the only thing you can do is let her have her fit. The only way I was able to get my daughter's hair rinsed was hold her down and use the shower sprayer. She got better about it as she got older.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My ASD son used to have a screaming fit about having his hair washed/rinsed. What I did was have him 'swim' on his back in the bathtub, and then when his head was in the water take a cup and rise the top. Another thing that worked was goggles--as he hated water in his eyes. When my mom would have him she would have him lay-lie on the kitchen counter and wash his hair in the sink- he seemed to like that. She would use the sprayer, and also a drinking cup to wet and rinse his hair.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2009