What do I do to get closer to my tween son?

He'll be 13 in December, and I felt he is not talking too much anymore with me, he'll enjoy do things by himself such as video, computer and TV.
Is this normal? How do you moms feel about this? I miss having us doing stuff together. Now he seems he does not need me anymore. Your suggestions, ideas or advise will be much appreciated!!

HOPE8818

Asked by HOPE8818 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I found it very difficult at that age too. My advice is to try to engage him in things he likes. Challenge him to do a video game against you. Ask if you can "practice" his games to get "as good as him" while he's at school. Ask him what he wants to eat more often, ask his opinion about things around the house, what do get for this person or that one for Christmas or birthday.... just keep the communication open the best you can. And good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• LOL well he is 13. Usually this is the age when kids get full of themsleves bcuz they're a teens now. Let him have his space, and jus try to have game night once a week. You have to be careful not to crowd him because then he will rebel
    UmmRomaris

Answer by UmmRomaris at 4:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen may help.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I agree with what kjrn79 said. I have 3 boys. The oldest is 17 and the middle one is 13. Thank God the youngest has years to go before he hits 13. (lol) Anyhow, yeah, this is normal behavior at 13 for a male. What kjrn79 is exactly what I do, too. Communication is key.
    Desirae17

Answer by Desirae17 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 21, 2009