• In the Spotlight:

when pumping how do you know when a boob is "done"?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Milk production differs from woman to woman, so it's hard to tell sometimes. I'd say just set a time for it. Usually I'd go about 10-15 mins each side. You'll know when they're getting empty usually because they're no longer as firm, and if there was that achey full kind of feeling, that's usually gone as well.
    I never could produce much milk, so I didn't worry too much about how much milk there was when I pumped, as long as my baby girl was getting enough. I just kept pumping, because the more you pump, the more you tend to produce.

[Just remember that around week 6 or 7, your breasts may not seem to get as firm, but it doesn't mean you aren't still producing enough milk. :)]
    Shadow_Dancer

Answer by Shadow_Dancer at 5:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• 15 minutes or when you stop getting milk, whichever comes first.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• baby is two weeks old and i got 3 oz out of one boob
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• milk was still coming out but it was very slow- and kind of hard to see through the shield because it was milky, but the flow was just a slow drip into the bottle
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I always had a hard time getting milk when I pumped. My babies got plenty of milk, but I could only get a couple of ounces when I pumped. I was lucky if I got 2.
    Anonymous

• I had a LC tell me once they they are done 2 minutes after the milk stopped spraying. That advice didn't work for me since I was lucky if I sprayed 30 seconds. I was trying to build supply so I pumped until every last drop was out... then some more. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:22 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• i stop pumping when theres no more milk coming out which is probably 10-15 minutes
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 6:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• when no more milk comes out, even after trying to squeeze some out.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2009