If Jesus had brothers and sisters...

why doesn't Jesus ask them to take care of his mother after his death?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The word sister is in the Bible in reference to Jesus - Matthew 13:56

The  word Greek word "adelphos" (translated brother/brethern) doens't have to mean blood brother - it can mean step brother (like if Josepsh was a widower, then sons from his first marriage), it can mean male cousin, or other male relative.  The same goes for the Greek word "adelphe" (sister) - it can mean step-sister, cousin, other female relative (including aunts or grandmas).

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• #1 he rose from the dead
    #2 he did, when he said "woman behold thy son, son behold thy mother" he was talking to his brother
    Anonymous

• I thought he had a brother that was a desciple.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• The Bible tells us that Jesus had four brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). His sisters are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:56).

He placed her in the care of John because his brothers were not yet believers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• anon: 35 he went to heaven and he knew his prophecy. he also asked John not his brothers to take care of his mother.
    Anonymous

• So were his siblings Demi-Gods as well???
    Anonymous

• I found an intersting site about this.

The Greek language has a separate word for “cousin” and “brothers” but the Greek still says Jesus had brothers.
    Again, the literal translation of Hebrew to Greek is “brother” (adelphoi). This happens over and over in the Bible. In Lk 22:32 Jesus tells Peter to strengthen the “brethren” (plural of “brothers”). Is Jesus regarding biological brothers only? In Rom 9:3 Paul uses “brethren” and “kinsmen” the same way. Acts 1:12-15 shows around 120 “brothers” gathered. That’s a big family (even for Catholics)!
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 5:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• that is from a blog I found. I will post more later if I have time
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 5:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Jesus said "woman behold thy son, son behold thy mother" because they were now to treat each other as son and mother.

I'm an atheist and it seems I know more about some of the religious questions than some of the others that are answering. There should be a christian website that could give you better answers than CM. You could look up answers using Google.

I'm a former Lutheran that had to take religious studies courses in college.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• maybe that would explain why his sister dont have mentioned names and numbers.
    Could sister also mean something else?
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2009