Does anyone cosleep without one of those box things?

My ds has been sleeping in my bed for part of the night because I fall asleep after nursing him and just leave him there. He sleeps better that way too, but if I was to get one of those boxes to make it "safe" he wouldn't sleep as well since he wouldn't be up against me.

So if you cosleep without one of those what precautions do you take to keep them safe? I don't roll in my sleep, but I'm worried about the pillows and blankets, which I obviously need to sleep with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP here, my son is only 4 weeks old if that helps.
    Anonymous

• I'm such a light sleeper, I'd never be able to roll against anything, never mind on top of anything. I didn't use a "box" or anything, we did just fine. They're all grown up now.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Here is a pamphlet on safe co-sleeping guidelines.

http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/pamphlets/milwaukee.html

I'm sorry it's too large to put everything here.

Babies have always slept next to their mothers and still do in most places. Of course most babies that die in their sleep from SIDS or other reasons in the US do so in a crib, cradle, bassinet, couch, or chair.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• My kids both slept next to me and I never had a problem. It was great for nursing, they slept deeper and longer and I could feel every movement and hear every breath which let me sleep better. Like another poster said-and my pediatrican told me this too-the US is one of the few countries where we put our babies in another room to sleep. In most other countries the mothers co sleep. I just put my kids next to me and made sure the sheet and blanket were not over their head-thats about it. We loved co sleeping and my kids still love to lay in bed with us on the weekends and they still sleep with us when they are sick.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• it's hard to explain but I have the pillow at an angle behind my head, even though my son is 2 1/2 now I still do this...lol...so it's nowhere near his face, but I still have it for me. I live in the dessert, so heavy blankets were never an issue.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 6:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I never used a box thing, I did what you did. I would be snuggled with him most of the time but some of the time he would be next to the wall with his own blanket and my head would like where his body was so I could cover myself with our duvet without worrying too much.

I always had an extra blanket on the bed though so I used that to cover me when nursing..and I would tuck it so it went over him but not his head. I tried to avoid cuddling him in the duvet.

Now he is too it seems fine though. He is forever kicking off the covers though.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my son is 4 months and i have co slept with him (and my other kids) since birth-i don't see anything wrong with it! it helps us get more sleep which is great!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t070600.asp

This is a link to the best info on safe co sleeping that I have found. Poke around on this site for more info, but this link goes directly to co-sleeping safety.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I know this is going to sound awful but I never really took any precautions. I would sleep on the inside of the bed (our bed is ALWAYS against the wall) and put up a body pillow so no one could run into the wall. Other than that, I did no other precautions. No co-sleeper thing, I slept with all my usual blankets and pillows. My kids never had issues with getting caught in stuff.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2009

• We used a co-sleeper; it was great!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2009