Public assistance help please.

I am a single mother. I have a 2 year old child. I work full time. But it is not enough. I need to see how I go about getting some financial help. Even if its just food stamps. Please do not bash me. I am doing all I can to provide for my child. I would just like to know what the guidelines are for food stamps. What do they take in to account? I have a car with a car payment (I had this car when things were good financially for me. And I NEED a car. My job is far from my home and I need a way to get my child back and forth to the places she needs to be (daycare, doctor's appointments, etc). Will they take that in to consideration? Will that prevent me from getting foodstamps? What all do they look at and what are the requirements? I am in California if that makes a difference. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://www.foodstampguide.org/calculating-income/
    Anonymous

• I know that the requirements differ from state to state..i don't believe that the state of Califonia will require you to give up your only means of transportation in order to qualify to receive food stamps!!They will take into account your income and your bills-- they are very well aware that you need your car to get to and from work, and to transport your child to and from daycare. Althouh I'm no expert by any means, it sounds as though you are struggling to make ends meet and that you would definitely be eligible for at least food stamps.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 6:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't think they will take a car payment into account when calculating food stamps. You can have one car. They look at rent and utilities.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• If you qualify, you qualify... you can not withhold information just to qualify. The only real way to find out is to go an apply! Good luck.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2009