Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I do the right thing?

I have just left a horrible situation at my apartment i have been at for only 9 months. I have a 2 year old daughter, and SUPER pregnant @ 33 weeks with a little boy. Here's the problem. My apartment has a REALLY BAD pest infestation . I have roaches and mice, and for the past 2 months, they have gotten worse. I live in the city of Detroit, and the company that manages the property are HORRIBLE. I also have a roof leak, that has created a water puddle in my living room carpet and on my couch, resulting in both of them being mildewed. I first noticed a roach in April, but it was only 1 or 2 every now and again. They put a notice on the door and said that the entire complex was going to be treated by an exterminator in May, which they never even SHOWED UP. I asked the property manager y he didnt call the residents or explain what happened, and he said it's not his responsibility to keep us informed of management's issues...cnt


Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • No you did the right thing. But please take some advice that I have to give you. If you don't want this same problem in your new home you need to make sure there are absolutely no roach eggs in any of the things moving with you. I had this happen in a hellish apartment and was very careful there were no roaches or mice in the boxes but didn't think about the eggs and two weeks after I moved in the new place was full of roaches. It was a nightmare. Put some kind of killer in each and every box and wash it the second you move in. Open your boxes outside when you move and make sure that a roach didn't slip in. Be very careful. If you're living in an infested apt complex it has nothing to do with you you can't get rid of them. Your neighbors roaches/rats will come over to visit unannounced. Keep fighting the eviction letter on your credit report. You might be able to qualify for a free lawyer. Look into it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • You should call better business bureau. They will make them take care of the problem

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • since then, it has gotten SO BAD. There are roaches in my drawers, my tv's, my clothes hampers, my couch, and are in the rubber flaps to my refrigerator. I have bought pest control merchandise from the store, an none of them have worked. I see at least 5-6 roaches at one time, on my counter, in the middle of the day! And all they do is run into the walls, cracks, outlets, and appliances. I have also killed 2-3 mice, and I still am continuing to see them. I have tried to call the city health inspector, but because of the high number of complaints, there is a 90-120 day wait, and my lease expires in feb. I have sent certified letters in writing, telling them that i would be withholding my rent, and still nothing. It got to the point one week, where I found 2 roaches crawling in my daughter's crib with her while she was sleeping, and even woke up with 2 in my bed and crawling on me! I panicked and left. I CANNOT

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • allow my son to be born in such a filthy environment. I have filed a formal complaint with the courts, and the BBB, but it still has not made them do anything. I have scrubbed my house from top to bottom with bleach, but they still keep coming back. I was put on bed rest by my doctor, and dont qualify for unemployment, so I am getting some PA, which takes care of my necessities for the time being until i go back to work, so I cant afford lawyers and to take them to court because of the fees. So I just ended up leaving without paying the rent, because i couldnt sleep another night there. (by the way, my 2 year old has a liver disease and is a high risk for getting sick). I have secured a beautiful house in the suburbs and im moving in the first of december. The only bad part is now I have an eviction on my record and feel like maybe I made the wrong choice. I just feel like I had to sacrifice for my kids. What do u think?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • If they refuse to make the property habitable DO NOT PAY RENT!!! THAT is the ONLY way to get their attention!! A picture is worth a thousand words--TAKE PICTURES of the water puddle, the mildew and your couch, the bugs, and the mice. Open an account at the bank (an escrow account) and put the rent money in it until they make the property livable! That way, if and WHEN they take you to court, you can PROVE that you are holding the rent money until they fix the problems, and the pictures you show to the judge will prove that you are living in SUBSTANDARD conditions.YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIVE with pests and plumbing problems!! TAKE ACTION ASAP!!

    Answer by Aprilmorgans at 6:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • You absolutely did the right thing. I couldnt have dealt with it as long as you did. It was great that you tried to hang in there and try to correct the problem before uprouting the family unfortunetly it made no difference. As far as the eviction on your record dont worry. You have the paper trial that your moving was not careless on your part. Continue to fight though and try to save another family from living in the same situation. I would call and write letters to whoever you can as often as you can. Some landlords are in it for the money not the responsiility, its to bad. Enjoy your new home and baby. Dont worry about the rest!

    Answer by formykids373 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • I would still file with the courts, look for a lawyer that will do it for free there are some other there.. I would be asking for my deposit and stuff.. thats just me.. but I would have done the same thing but i would have gotten proff and then I would have sent a cerdified(spelling?) letter stating they had 2 weeks to fix this or I would be ending my lease. I am sure them not fixing it breaks there end of the lease..

    Answer by miss_nevin at 6:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • i did sent a certified letter, and you have to give them 30 days, which I did to no avail....also to note that 5 out of the 8 tenants in my building have up and left because of the roaches. We are thinking of all coming together to file a civil case.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • In Michigan you can pay your rent into an escrow account instead of to your landlord until the problem is fixed. I am not sure of the particulars but I know that is an option.... that way you can't be sued for breaking the lease.

    I am from the Detroit suburbs, have you thought about calling the problem solvers or one of the other news stations?? I know that they all have someone that handles issues like this with the public. I hope this helps.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

  • You need to contact the health department, they will send someone out to assess the problems and they will most likely end up getting fined, in the mean time don't pay rent.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2009