litter

hi iam getting a kitten within the next 2 days. i was wandering what u think is the best litter to use. we live in a smallr apartment so i would like something that really covers up the smell. thank you

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I love the arm n hammer kind
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I love the pine litter. It's best for the cat. You can flush the poop right away. It's good for the environment.

You aren't supposed to flush in some places in California because I guess toilet water goes in the ocean and cat poo can hurt sea lions or some wildlife. Gross that toilet water goes in the ocean without being treated better!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I don't like the Arm and Hammer. It smelled worse when the kitty's pottied in there. I tried the pine stuff, too. It did the same thing. Stunk really bad once they pottied. I get the scoopable kind. ScoopAway I think. Def start out with a small litter box though, so the kitten can get in and out. Oh, tidy cat has a small places litter. Not sure if it's any different though.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I like the arm and hammer natural. It's basically wheat chaff, and even with seven cats leaves no odor. It's mildly clumping and dust free.

The scoopable litters should never be used (the hard clumping kind) with kittens. They tend to eat everything, just like a baby, and will clump in your kittens tummy ~ which can cause a blockage that will be fatal without surgery. Once they are 5 months or so you can switch if you want :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I use scoopable fresh step. Easy and convient to clean,and has as pleasant of an aroma as possible considering it collects kitty poo! If you need to freshen it up or want to keep your box smelling fresh as long as possible sprinkle the top with baking soda.
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 8:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• We use Tidy Cat for small places or mulitiple cats. It seems to work pretty well.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 3:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Tidy cats for small places, and you could also get one of those hooded litter boxes with charcoal filter. Those cut the smell down sooo much. I had three cats at my old apartment (we're down to one, couldn't afford all three) and the hooded litter box was a lifesaver.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I like any clumping, i usually buy whichever is on sale. We keep it in a closet with the door open and never have a problem with the smell.
    level1fevi

Answer by level1fevi at 10:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2009