Why do people hang out so much as kids (i.e. siblings, cousins, etc) and then never talk as adults?????? Is it a boy thing?

I'm curious to your thoughts. I have 6 siblings, and talk to one daily we're like bffs (a sister). My other ones never talk...I do see 1 or 2 a couple times per year. I helped raise most of them, devoted my teenage years taking them everywhere and putting up with their adhd hyperactive selves and given bday cards, phonecalls, bday and xmas presents for years to get NOTHING EVER not a call, hi even on Facebook. Same with my cousins. I was raised with them, we were insperable (boys). 1 aunt I was raised with (same age as me) we get along famously. So 2 people I am close to out of 10 I grew up close to...what happens? Is it boys mostly that seperate, I noticed my boy cousins/brother even though we catered to them growing up, but they just pretend we don't exist.

Is it like this in your family? Do boys come "around" and talk more when they are over 30? Is it just personalties change..etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think every family/situation is different, so there's no saying "it's this" or "that." People change, get married, move away etc. . . . there are too many variables.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Women generally keep relationships going (there have been studies on this). I know my MIL and SIL talk daily whereas my dh might talk to them once every 1-2 weeks if nothing particular is going on.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I really don't know. I'm an only child so I don't know the sibling dynamics at all. I do have a bunch of cousins and out of the seven of us, I'm in regular contact with 6 of them. 'Regular contact' doesn't mean daily phone calls- it means we chat on Facebook, we make an effort to get together for special occasions (ie. we just went out in a group to celebrate one cousin's birthday last weekend.) One of them is one of my best friends- his kids and my kids are good friends as well. I see him more than any of the other cousins, largely because we have similar circumstances (both married with three kids all born around the same time.) I think it really just depends on the people and the circumstances. My cousin who I am so close to sees his own siblings a lot less than he sees me... my dh has a brother who we only talk to a couple times a year. There's lots of factors.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2009