Is it safe to let my daughter play outside by herself?

She's 18 months old, it's warm here, our yard is gravel, she's playing in her sandbox. The yard is fenced with a privacy fence, she can't undo the latch on the gate and I leave the back door open so I can hear her if something goes wrong. I can't see her if she goes toward the back of the house, but as long as she is playing in her sandbox (like she has the last three times we've been outside) then I can check on her very easily. The neighborhood is quiet.

With all these conditions, is it safe for me to go inside and clean up while she plays in her sandbox? I check on her about every 5 minutes... but it still just doesn't feel quite right.

Safe or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not in today's society...sorry that is the ugly truth and you would never forgive yourself if you went to check on her and she was missing...no amount of cleaning up is that important. I'm in total agreement with one of the earlier posts. Pull up a chair and read a book or do something that will keep her within your sight.
    Anonymous

• NO these days I really would say no
    When I was a kid it was nothing for a kid to play outside alone but even in your private yard and quiet neighborhod someone can still come in and take your child
    You should be watching your child
    Anonymous

• no - too young
    Anonymous

• No, but if you want pull up a chair by the door and read a book while she plays so you can see her at all times.
    Anonymous

• I DONT THINK I WOULD EVER LET MY CHILDREN OUTSIDE ALONE!this world is so fucked up you cant feel safe in your own home let alone outside..so no! i wouldnt
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 6:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I have to say I think 18 months is a little young. I do however let my 3 and 4 year old play outside by themselves. They play in the front and backyard on nice days. Now I will say we live down a mile long dirt driveway in the middle of a corn field. I keep the door open so I can hear them. I peek out every so often too. But yes they are out by themselves playing while I get things done in the house.
    Anonymous

• no to many crazy people out there its better to keep her in or stay outside while she plays
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies, I took your advice, and went outside with her. You're right, I never could forgive myself if something happened. She had a fun time playing in her sandbox and I had a nice time reading my book :)

It didn't feel right to me, thanks for reminding me that my mother is from another era :p
    Anonymous