should a church be allowed to help the community if the community doesn't want the help?

I was reading an article about a church that was feeding the homeless. Neighbors are complaining because the homeless have shown up before meals and are basically loitering after meals.

Should the church be forced to stop serving food in their buildings? Churches pay property tax do they have the right to feed the homeless?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• NOPE
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Should the church be forced to stop serving food in their buildings? No

Churches pay property tax do they have the right to feed the homeless? Yes

Anonymous

• Whats the difference between the homeless loitering around the church before and after meals then the homeless litering around fastfood restraunts (even the drive throughs!) asking for food? It was crazy, last week I was out of town for a Dr's visit and there was a homeless man standing at the drive through yelling at me, demanding food WHILE I was ordering! What the hell?! Sorry I know that was a little off topic but I do NOT think the church should stop serving food in thier buildings for the homeless. Its thier right.
    Anonymous

• i'd say the 'community' isn't much of a community if its complaining about any entity feeding its homeless population.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• so the portion of the community that has homes and meals doesn't want the service provided to those who have none, because it's ruining the neighborhood's aesthetics?

nice.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• my thoughts exactly, autodidact. ^
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:22 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Churches pay taxes like everyone else and as long as the homeless people aren't causing any trouble (yelling at people, hitting people), then what's the problem?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I agree with hairnazi, if a community is complaining abou the loitering homeless instead of whining why not get a program together geez
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• wow sounds like a lovely community... don't feed people who are hungy.

that's sad that people can be that uncaring. most don't know the story of a homeless person and how they got there. that community needs a wake-up call that it could happen to anyone.
    Anonymous