my breast hurt and i dont know why

this morning when i woke up it noticed that it hurted t lay on my left side because of my breast. ii hurt along the sides and at the base/bottom of my breast. i checked out my daughters mouth and from what i could see she DOES NOT have thrash or thrush (im not sure what they call it) anywhoo the breast has been giving me problems concerning milk production. im lucky if i get an ounce my other breast i can get 4-6 oz. im not sure whats going on :( help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• forgot to mention i been breast feeding for 5mths
    Anonymous

• If it is a lot of pain it could be mastitis caused by a clogged milk duct. The best thing to do is to have your baby nurse on that breast as much as possible. That should help clear it up. Are you mostly pumping or are you nursing? Mastitis is more common in women who pump a lot because no matter how good the pump is, it's not as good as your baby.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• sounds like mastitis. if it is, you can sometimes feel the lump behind the effected milk duct. try massaging in a hot shower, then completely draining that breast. When you're done bfing try pumping that side too, that should help bump up production.
    Anonymous

• Thrush hurts your skin.

Your breast my hurt from a plugged duct or from pumping. Some pumps can cause your breasts to hurt. Just because you can only pump an ounce doesn't mean that's all that breast is making. the baby may be able to make a lot more.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2009